Managing Director, Communications & Culture
Communications & Culture – Office of the SVP of Comm
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
The Communications & Culture Division of PPFA has an opportunity for a Managing Director. Reporting to the Senior Vice President, Communications & Culture, the Managing Director is responsible for supporting the Senior Vice President, he/she will play a critically important role providing high touch support to the SVP and Communications & Culture teams. In this role the chosen candidate will work effectively with internal and external stakeholders to help with the day-to-day management of a large, fast-paced, and complex division. This is a highly strategic and facilitative role that requires a combination of focus and flexibility, as well as a willingness to play an active, behind the scenes role. As a trusted advisor to the SVP, Communications, this role requires high emotional intelligence, confidentiality, self-motivation and analytical skills. This position will have some supervisory responsibility.
This position will work closely with the Senior Vice President to oversee the coordination of the division, particularly around strategic planning, and will work closely with the division's department leads to ensure effective, efficient management, as well as complete special projects as assigned.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for the overall execution of the Office of the Senior Vice President program goals and the creation of related processes and workflows needed to ensure success. Constantly evaluates and recommends changes in strategy as needed.
- Provide support to the SVP in the development of content, updates and information for distribution to internal and external audience; step in as SVP proxy when needed.
- Provide leadership and guidance to the SVP, Communications & Culture and senior leadership team.
- Supervise a team of 8 staff members, including 3 direct reports and their direct reports, on three teams: internal communications, budget and operations, and special projects.
- Partner with Communications & Culture senior leadership team to ensure business and staff challenges are addressed in a timely, open and effective manner, and that the efforts of the division are focused on successful implementation of communications plans and initiatives.
- Partner with Communications & Culture senior leadership and HR to ensure that Communications & Culture advances efforts in building a diverse organization.
- Monitor and support the portfolio of strategic projects and programs for Communications & Culture.
- Respond to problems and challenges on a daily basis, in particular those that may require the direct attention of the Vice President.
- Lead the budget and operations teams in their work with leadership as part of the annual budgeting and reforecasting process, while managing day to day multi-million dollar budget. Reports significant variances to assure conformance with approved budget.
- Manage the life of the department - plan staff retreats, including helping to craft agendas for various Communications & Culture weekly staff meetings; monitor professional development needs of department; help manage hiring, firing, performance improvement plans; help to facilitate goal setting process.
- Facilitate and manage communications strategic planning.
- Support the bi-annual employee engagement survey; ensure organizational, divisional and team improvement plans are aligned, actionable and completed.
- Serve as primary and/or team member on critical Communications & Culture and PPFA projects.
- Represent and be a decision-maker within scope for Communications & Culture in cross-division meetings.
- Regularly interact with senior management staff, senior consultants, affiliates and other department and program senior staff.
- Special projects as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- 8+ years of related, progressively responsible work experience in media relations, communications, digital, brand marketing and/or non-profit management, including supervisory and management experience.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Experience in nonprofit management desirable.
- Team player with strong interpersonal skills.
- Experience managing and moving the work in large, complex organizations required.
- Well-versed in what makes a modern communications operation successful.
- Ability to work closely (one on one) with Senior Vice President and senior staff.
- Must have the ability to quickly determine which problems and challenges can be resolved independently and those that require the attention of the Vice President.
- Manages the follow-through on problems/challenges that can be resolved independently and oversees the needed research and counsel necessary to provide superior support to the Vice President when issues arise that need his/her direct involvement.
- Unflappable in the face of crisis or high stress situations.
- Detail-oriented with excellent project management skills, ability to handle multiple projects and tasks, often in a fast-paced environment.
- Passionate about the mission of Planned Parenthood and the role of health care, education, and advocacy.
- Sense of humor.
- Impeccable discretion.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Polished presentation skills.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to see, understand and communicate the big picture as well as translate into actionable next steps.
- Solid equity lens, including an understanding of how oppression impacts people’s ability to access their sexual and reproductive health and rights.
- Position requires knowledge of executive office (type) operations and management.
- Knowledge of diverse groups, working with a multicultural workforce, and sensitivity and appreciation to cultural differences is essential. This position will need to respond to the needs of a fast-paced operation which requires after-hours availability.
PERSONAL QUALITIES / OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Excellent people skills, in particular partnership and relationship building with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Self-starter with a high level of creative initiative.
- Unflappable approach and behavior.
- Excellent teaching and training abilities in managing a team.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.