Associate Director, Organizing & Training
Policy, Campaigns & Advocacy – Organizing, Engagement & Campaigns
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) seeks a dynamic and effective Associate Director of Organzing and Trainings to shape, develop and refine the supporter and volunteer engagement organizing model, lead organizing training, provide affiliate support and coaching for strategy, and formal leadership development programs for staff and volunteers that will support the power building work the Organizing and Electoral Campaigns Department.
The Associate Director will focus particularly on building the capacity of affiliate staff, supporters and volunteers to build deep and lasting coalition partnerships, and engage in strategies that lift the voices and experiences of historically marginalized communities in PP’s advocacy and electoral work. This position is focused on training and building towards electoral power with local organizations on the ground particularly battleground states. This position will be managed by the Deputy Organizing Director.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Implement the national volunteer and supporter engagement organizing model including the team based approach and mobilizing these supporters to engage in campaigns -- with an integrated online and offline approach.
- This position will spend a significant time in the field working with 2020 power building states to build electoral power and implement the national volunteer and supporter engagement organizing model.
- Support Public Affairs staff to develop a deep culture of community organizing, with an emphasis towards supporting organizing staff in strategies that will diversify leadership in communities of color and bring new voices to Planned Parenthood -- especially in African American, Latinx, immigrant communities, and other marginalized groups.
- Create and integrate tools and trainings into the overall training program to address the need for information on accessing health services and answering questions regarding the Affordable Care Act.
- Work closely with public affairs and organizing staff at PPFA and affiliates to integrate organizing training and coalition building work into overall strategy, including issues most relevant to communities of color that intersect with the issues of reproductive health and rights.
- Manage Planned Parenthood’s trainings on reproductive and racial justice, developing, in conjunction with affiliates and movement leaders, the curriculum, coaching opportunities, and convenings to further the work.
- Develop training plans, including assessing needs, creating goals, and refining all training tools.
- Support National trainings including Path to Power Universities, youth organizing trainings, patient advocacy work, and more.
- Manage multiple national and regional conferences and trainings simultaneously with cross departmental teams.
- Partner with national, state, and affiliate staff to integrate training into Public Affairs and Organizing programs across PPFA, providing individualized technical assistance and capacity building where needed. Develop online learning curricula and tools through identifying needs, building strategy, and creating modules including work with digital and communications teams to develop supportive materials for trainees to communicate and coordinate activities.
- Create training evaluations and produce quantitative and qualitative reports on training program.
- Other campaign and training duties as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- 3-5 years of organizing experience, ideally with a mix of electoral, community, and direct action organizing.
- A record of success in peer-to-peer training work, including direct coaching.
- Experience working in diverse communities.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Collaborative work style across complex teams and experience working in a federated structure.
- Experience with anti-oppression/racial equity curriculum development and delivery.
- Experience creating training designs and outcomes, including program and curriculum evaluation.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Proficiency with computer skills, including Microsoft Outlook, Word, PowerPoint Excel, and Publisher and online training tools.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Familiarity with reproductive and sexual health issues a plus, familiarity with Reproductive Justice organizations a plus.
- Ability and willingness to work evenings and weekends as needed, and to travel a minimum of 50% of time as needed.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.