Director, Multicultural Brand Engagement
New York, NY
Communications & Culture – Brand & Culture Strategy
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) seeks a dynamic and effective Director, Multicultural Brand Engagement. The Director is responsible for bridging a cross section of the organization’s culture change, brand marketing and corporate work by bringing influences of various industries together, and build brand marketing programs with a specific focus on multicultural audiences, to help shape public opinion about the reproductive health issues central to Planned Parenthood’s work.
As part of the brand marketing team, and reporting into the Senior Brand Marketing Director, The Director leads our brand and culture marketing strategy and its expansion efforts to more inclusive, diverse audiences, including but not limited to communities of color, young people and LGBTQ and faith communities.
This role is responsible for spearheading the strategies to engage new audiences through Planned Parenthood’s brand and mission to normalize culture of sexuality and reproductive health care and rights to influence policy change. Most importantly, meeting diverse communities where they are by bringing our brand to them. This role will build key relationships with culture influencers and decision makers in various industries and introduce Planned Parenthood to brand/entity/individual.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Identify key moments, events and creative spaces; develops and leads activation strategies by thinking creatively to move innovative ideas from conception to high-impact execution for Planned Parenthood’s brand.
- Working closely with Arts & Entertainment team, cultivates, and manages the “Culture council” that has a particular focus on convening creators who reach young people and communities of color, which will be responsible for developing creative projects
- Leads the strategy and implementation of content marketing partnerships that specifically reach diverse audiences and young people.
- Manages marketing integrated work streams and public support from key influencers; identifies high-stakes opportunities in current events to work with key influences to position Planned Parenthood’s message and goals.
- Develops promotional, communication materials and DIY tools for brand activations, key ambassadors and allies.
- Drives the brand and culture stream for key organizational priorities to reach communities of color, working closely with Strategic Partnerships, Constituency Comms on programs such as "Stand With Black Women".
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- 7-8 years’ directly related experience working across relevant marketing functions with a focus on communities of color and youth.
- Experience with high-level stakeholder management in a complex organizational structure.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Excellent judgment, organization and project management skills with the ability to assess situations quickly, take action and resolve problems.
- Deep understanding of culture and the entertainment industries and the intersection of marketing and creative work.
- Exceptional relationship management skills; demonstrated track record of moving relationships from identification to initial discovery to deep and meaningful partnerships.
- Strong communication and presentation skills, including writing and verbal skills.
- Excellent ability to engage external stakeholders and represent the mission and values of Planned Parenthood in new settings.
- Discretion and confidentiality necessary. Thorough understanding of PPFA issues, mission and goals.
- Keen attention to detail and stellar project management skills.
- Ability to work independently in a highly matrixed and complex organizational structure.
- Ability to direct and influence horizontally across teams and divisions.
- Knowledge of diverse groups, racial equity, working with a multicultural workforce and sensitivity and appreciation to cultural differences is required.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.