Senior Philanthropy Officer
San Francisco or Telecommuter /
Office of the Chief Development Officer (CDO) – Principal & Major Gifts /
Full Time - Union
Planned Parenthood is the nation’s leading provider and advocate of high-quality, affordable sexual and reproductive health care for all people, as well as the nation’s largest provider of sex education. With more than 600 health centers across the country, Planned Parenthood organizations serve all patients with care and compassion, with respect, and without judgment, striving to create equitable access to health care. Through health centers, programs in schools and communities, and online resources, Planned Parenthood is a trusted source of reliable education and information that allows people to make informed health decisions. We do all this because we care passionately about helping people lead healthier lives.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization that supports the independently incorporated Planned Parenthood affiliates operating health centers across the U.S. Planned Parenthood Action Fund is an independent, nonpartisan, not-for-profit membership organization formed as the advocacy and political arm of Planned Parenthood Federation of America. The Action Fund engages in educational, advocacy, and electoral activity, including grassroots organizing, legislative advocacy, and voter education.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) and Planned Parenthood Action Fund (PPAF) seeks a dynamic and passionate Senior Philanthropy Officer. This job reports to the National Director, Major Gifts in the PMG department of the Development division of PPFA. The PMG team raises revenue from high net-worth individuals and families by building and deepening relationships to yield six, seven and eight figure gifts to support the mission of PPFA, PPAF, PPVotes, and the Federal PAC. Preference will be given to candidates in the San Francisco area.
Purpose: The Senior Philanthropy Officer is responsible for managing all qualification, cultivation, solicitation, acknowledgement, recognition, and stewardship for a portfolio of prospects and donors with affinity for PPFA and capacity to make $25,000+ investments in Planned Parenthood, with a particular focus on donors with the capacity to contribute $250,000 and above.
Delivery: Develops and enacts cultivation and solicitation strategies for a portfolio of prospects and donors with affinity for PPFA and capacity to make investments in Planned Parenthood at the five- and six-figure level with possible campaign contributions at the seven-figure level. The ideal candidate will be an adaptive fundraiser, able to both cultivate and facilitate relationships. They must be unflappable, with excellent people skills, able to develop partnerships with both internal and external stakeholders, and possess impeccable discretion.
● Builds and manages a network of relationships with prospective donors involving PPFA volunteer leaders and staff. Facilitates and coordinates all communication with these prospects and among the prospect’s PPFA relationships. Promotes positive relations with these prospects and donors.
● Interacts with internal contacts to consult on PPFA needs, to formulate strategies to promote prospect engagement with PPFA, and to identify potential donors.
● Works with PPFA affiliate colleagues as an ambassador and partner to identify donor prospects who may have an interest in our work.
● Assists with the strategy for and creation of persuasive written communications from various PPFA leaders appropriate to a donor’s interests.
● Participates (often in concert with others) in gift solicitations to fund PPFA programs and to enhance the development efforts of PPFA.
● Travels (possibly extensively) commensurate with expectations for fundraising activity contact and travel.
● Performs additional development-related activities/efforts at the request of their manager.
Engagement: This fundraiser will partner with the Director of Major Gifts, CDO, PPFA leadership, Vice President of Principal & Major Gifts, National Director of Principal & Major Gifts, the Philanthropic Communications team, and others to develop philanthropic investment opportunities for high net-worth individual donors. Externally, this role will be the primary liaison with foundation professionals, philanthropy advisors, and donors as well as development colleagues at Planned Parenthood Affiliates.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs):
● Portfolio management experience and/or direct donor relationship management experience of at least 5 to 7 years with 2 to 3 years minimum of direct portfolio management. Experience developing and executing sound donor strategies to secure gifts of at least $25,000+ and experience securing gifts from prospects.
● This skilled fundraiser will have competency creating donor strategies utilizing best practice in donor moves management.
● Political fundraising experience and experience working in an affiliate structure is highly desired, but not required.
● Ability to travel extensively to visit donors. Experience planning and executing of donor visit trips and events preferred.
● Outstanding oral, written, communication, and presentation skills – including the ability to listen and target communication to specific interests of varied audiences.
● Comfort in online fundraising toolsets and databases including Salesforce and/or Blackbaud.
● Strong organizational and project management skills – with the ability to manage multiple assignments and quickly changing priorities in a fast-paced setting.
● Experience qualifying and disqualifying prospects using research and instincts.
● Proven ability to build deep and lasting relationships with a variety of internal partners, with whom no direct line supervision exists, as well as external individuals, from donors to board members. Impeccable discretion above all else.
● Gravitas paired with the professional integrity and ambition to effectively represent and promote Planned Parenthood externally at the highest levels and internally as a surrogate for senior leadership.
● A motivated team player with exceptional communication skills along with interpersonal savvy.
● A deep commitment to Planned Parenthood’s mission and understanding of the Sexual and Reproductive Health ecosystem
Travel: 20% - 40%
$120,000 - $130,000 a year
Final offers for this job will be based on capabilities and will be made within the parameters of the PPFA compensation program. Total offer package to include generous vacation + sick leave + paid holidays, individual/family provided medical, dental and vision benefits effective day 1, life insurance, short/long term disability, paid family leave and 401k. We also offer voluntary opt in for Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Transportation/Commuter accounts.
We value a truly diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity and belonging. Our goal is to attract qualified candidates and encourage applications from all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
PPFA participates in the E-Verify program and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Beginning in February 2023, all roles denoted as NYC, DC, or both, will be on a hybrid schedule, requiring 2-3 days per week in-office.