Lead Android Developer, Spot On
New York, NY
Strategy – Digital Products Lab
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Spot On, Planned Parenthood’s free period and birth control tracking app for iPhone and Android, launched in March 2016, and was recently named Best App in Fast Company’s Innovation By Design Awards. Today, it has over 1.5 million downloads and supports more than 200,000 users each month. We’re looking for a multi-faceted Android developer who wants to contribute to the mission of Planned Parenthood, and is eager to be on the forefront of shaping our users’ experience by building on this early success and taking Spot On to the next level.
Spot On was developed by Planned Parenthood’s Digital Product Lab, a small team focused on launching and scaling great digital products quickly, in partnership with digital agencies based in NYC. As Spot On becomes integrated into the organization’s core services and tools, our goal is ultimately to bring all work on the app in-house. We’ll begin moving toward this goal by establishing a streamlined team (including a Product Manager, UX Lead, Mobile Developers) to lead ongoing app iterations in partnership with ongoing agency support, and ultimately help us build additional development capacity in-house.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) seeks a dynamic and effective Lead Android Developer that will report to the Senior Director, Digital Product Lab, and work closely with the Spot On Product Manager, iOS Lead Developer, UX Lead, and in-house security and application development teams, as well as with our agency partners.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide technical leadership in the ideation, prototyping, and implementation of new Spot On features and improvements. Examples include but are not limited to: implementing user accounts, integrating appointment scheduling, and implementing predictive features based on user-provided data.
- Build experiences that are intuitive and impactful for our users in close partnership with product management and UX designers.
- Estimate effort and resources required for projects, and deliver work on time.
- Draw from app engineering experience to recommend best practices for the Digital.
- Product Lab and its work, both within and beyond Spot On.
- Recognize, assess, and elevate risks in product roadmaps so that we can manage them before they get in the way.
- Work closely with Product Manager and Senior Director as they build internal capacity for app development and ongoing growth.
- Work closely with our internal Application Development and Information Security teams, aligning with our secure software development lifecycle to make recommendations for Android development.
- Translate technical opportunities and constraints to non-technical stakeholders, and translate business needs to technical stakeholders.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- 5+ years experience developing mobile applications.
- Expert in writing readable, maintainable, code in Kotlin using MVVM.
- Demonstrated experience in successfully developing and deploying apps to the Google Play Store.
- Extensive experience with Git and version control.
- Experience working in an agile environment .
- Demonstrated experience navigating complex systems and products.
- Experience working with a cross-functional team, and interest in supporting non-technical colleagues in making critical technology-based decisions.
- Experience with (or openness to) working with an external development and DevOps teams to build and deploy products.
- Outstanding communication skills. Comfortable interacting with peers and stakeholders across Planned Parenthood.
- Eager to engage with, and bridge gaps between, technical and user experience/product teams.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Background working on complex systems and applications.
- A deep passion for building mobile apps, a strong understanding of all things Android, and a drive to build effective cross-platform experiences.
- Comfortable going heads-down to dig into code, and playing a strategic tech lead role in conversations with non-technical colleagues.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.