Director of Gift Planning Marketing
New York, NY /
Office of the Chief Development Officer (CDO) – Gift Planning /
Full Time - Non-Union
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the national umbrella organization for the nation’s leading network of women’s health care providers, educators, and advocates, serving women, men, teens and families. Planned Parenthood Action Fund is the advocacy and political arm of PPFA. For over 100 years, Planned Parenthood has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) and Planned Parenthood Action Fund (PPAF) seeks an experienced professional for its Director of Gift Planning Marketing. This individual will be part of an accomplished, national team charged with increasing and retaining planned gift commitments for PPFA, PPAF, and the organization’s Collaborative Fundraising Program. The director reports to the Vice President for Gift Planning and is one of four leaders of the 21-person gift planning department.
- The Director of Gift Planning Marketing is charged with creating a full range of initiatives to increase planned gift commitments among Planned Parenthood donors and offering stewardship activities to enrich donor engagement and retention. The Director oversees a team of three full-time employees involved in production, fulfillment, and analysis, and supervises the work of a variety of external vendors and partners. The program includes a variety of appeals by mail, a national legacy society, dedicated web pages, print and electronic newsletters, stewardship e-blasts, donor materials and disclosures, and new initiatives to promote planned gifts and special giving for PPFA, PPAF, and the Collaborative Fundraising Program. The program also includes bequest challenges and other special campaigns.
- Hires, trains, and mentors the marketing team to achieve an ambitious annual program together. Monitors work flow, professional development, and administrative matters.
- Creates the annual marketing plan for the gift planning program for PPFA, the CFP, and PPAF including the proposed strategies, calendar, budget, and messages. Adjusts as needed to ensure sufficient leads for the gift planning officers — emphasizing future bequest commitments — and that long-term financial goals will be met.
- Writes the annual stewardship plan for gift planning donors, focusing on the Planned Parenthood Legacy Society, including proposed strategies, calendar, budget, and messages. Modifies as needed in response to current affairs and donor needs.
- Works on the design and production of a variety of charitable gift annuity, bequest, and IRA appeals; proposal and visit materials; donor surveys and newsletters; disclosure and offering books; Legacy Society publications; and other items.
- Oversees the gift planning information on PPFA and PPAF web pages, Intranet pages, FreeWill, and other venues. Develops new gift planning resources including electronic newsletters, recorded messages, and webinars. Follows trends on the use of electronic communication in gift planning and develops strategies to expand PP’s digital offerings.
- Involved in the planning and implementation of additional campaigns, such as bequest challenges.
- Works internally with the philanthropic communications team and across the development division, as well as with creative services, general counsel, and office of the president, for additional writing, editing, design, and approvals. Secures external legal review of all newly developed materials.
- Conducts request-for-proposals, obtains bids, negotiates contracts, and manages the work of a variety of vendors.
- Studies PP donor demographics, especially related to age. Ensures adequate enhancements are underway for the database, including age and death data, to maximize the impact of departmental resources.
- Tracks costs through time to develop accurate annual budgets and calculate return on investment. Works with the VP to apply a variety of methodologies, such as zero-based budgeting, scenario planning, and strategic priorities, to the annual budget and reforecasting cycles.
- Prepares on-going and timely analysis of the marketing program, including the timing, volume, and types of response to each initiative. Applies findings from individual and side-by-side analysis to inform future projects.
- Attends a variety of educational activities to increase knowledge of gift planning and marketing. Compiles and exchanges information on planned giving marketing for benchmarking purposes and applies key findings from meetings, surveys, webinars, and conferences.
- Actively participates in a variety of individual, team, and departmental meetings. Represents Gift Planning in a number of division-wide meetings and committees.
- Other duties as needed
- Commits to team cohesiveness and maintaining an environment that prizes learning and staff development
- Thought partner with the vice president and directors of the department
- Sensitive to the needs of Planned Parenthood’s senior-most donors, especially the visual resources and message content to keep donors engaged with our mission and values
- Respects affiliate partners and encourages their participation in national programs
- Persistent in moving work forward, especially when internal and external obstacles emerge
- Willingness to be flexible to meet deadlines and lead the work during high-peak periods or in special campaigns"
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- 10 years of experience in development in a nonprofit organization
- Knowledge of or ability to learn aspects of planned giving and the tax implications of charitable giving
- B.A./B.S. degree required
- Expert writing, editing, and proof-reading skills, along with the application off formal style book rules
- Strong attention to detail and a keen visual eye for reviewing design, photography, and print lay-outs
- Ability to master multiple databases and querying tools project management
- Hands-on database and word-processing skills, along with the ability to train new staff as needed
- Expert in Excel and compiling/analyzing budgets, costs, response rates, and other data
- Build cooperative and collegial relationships within the development division and across the organization to ensure that objectives are met
- Gather feedback and approvals quickly when deadlines are time sensitive
PPFA participates in the E-Verify program. We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. PPFA does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.