Policy, Campaigns & Advocacy – Legislative Affairs
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
The Government Relations team of Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is seeking a Legislative Specialist. Reporting to the Director of Legislative Affairs and working collaboratively in the Government Relations and Public Policy Department, this Legislative Specialist will perform a variety of functions, both independently and as a team by maintaining contact with key Congressional staffers and as a resource for PPFA affiliate staff by providing information and support on federal legislation and policy. The Government Relations team develops and implements national and state and administrative strategies for improved public policy including federal lobbying, federal administrative advocacy, state public policy initiatives and support for affiliates.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- As a entry-level lobbyist with Planned Parenthood, this position would be responsible for the outreach to Congressional staff, maintaining those relationships on reproductive health and related legislation to ensure Congress is informed and aware of PPFA’s positions, priorities and message to influence the outcome of federal legislation and federal policies.
- In collaboration with the Legislative Team, formulates and implements legislative strategy to carry out PPFA’s goals regarding reproductive health policies and programs so key members of Congress are informed and aware of PPFA’s positions on issues.
- Develop and maintains working relationships with targeted contacts in legislative offices to educate them and respond to information requests on PPFA’s positions and priorities regarding reproductive health and related issues.
- Research policy and write legislative analysis, summaries and talking points on PPFA issues for Congressional staff, affiliates and coalition partners.
- Monitors legislative development and activities in Congress and the Administration related to and programs of interest to PPFA. Provide PPFA affiliates and staff with the latest information regarding legislative activity and coordinate efforts to mobilize activities in support of PPFA policy positions.
- Represents PPFA’s positions in coalition meetings and work to develop consensus on issues in order to be most effective in lobbying activities.
- Prepare detailed Congressional target lists to identify members of Congress who need additional information lobbying and grassroots activities. Track member positions on domestic policy issues and monitor movement.
- In collaboration with the Legislative Team and other PPFA departments, organize grassroots mobilization, activities, and develop messages to achieve desired goals.
- Completes special projects as assigned and required.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 2 - 4 years of substantive Congressional or Federal Agency experience, ideally focusing on health care or a federal congressional relation role at a non-profit.
- Must be motivated to succeed in a client responsive environment, including interacting with congressional staff, coalition partners and affiliate staff.
- Prepared to demonstrate excellent writing, editing, proofreading, research, organizational and administrative skills.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, negotiation, problem solving, and customer service and skills.
- Strong computer skills including word processing, database, spreadsheet, subscription services and use of internet.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Knowledge of reproductive health care issues.
- Ability to juggle multiple assignments and deadlines is essential.
- Be able to work as part of a team, have experience with a multicultural workforce and sensitivity and appreciation towards cultural differences.
- · As-Needed
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.