Press Officer, Elections & Campaigns
Communications & Culture – Media
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) seeks a dynamic and effective and Planned Parenthood Action Fund (PPAF) seeks a dynamic and passionate individual to join as a Press Officer for Elections and Campaigns. Reporting directly to the Manager of Elections and Campaigns, the Press Officer would execute communications and media strategies around the organization’s political and policy priorities, including elections and access to care at Planned Parenthood, access to safe, legal abortion and access to reproductive health care. They would strategically respond to breaking news and provide communications support to the organization’s political and organizing work, including an emphasis on affiliate needs and support. They would leverage earned media in support of Planned Parenthood’s public policy goals, as well as the electoral activities of its PAC or Action Fund.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Pitch stories, create media materials, and shape media narrative in support of Planned Parenthood’s political, policy, and electoral goals.
- Work closely with political and policy reporters, building deep relationships.
- Coordinate with opposition research, policy teams, and organizing and electoral teams.
- Identify and create tools and trainings to resource and build skills for affiliate communications staff.
- In partnership with the Organizing, Elections and Campaigns team, ensure team is monitoring and updating key PPFA staff on political developments.
- Through consistent outreach, stay apprised of upcoming articles or stories that reporters are working on that cover the reproductive rights and electoral issues. Through consistent outreach, ensure that Planned Parenthood is considered a “must have” source for our issues.
- Ensure Planned Parenthood is seen as an influential player within the political and policy spheres. Work with team to build strategies to elevate key staff people’s profiles in influential spaces.
- Draft various media materials, including press releases, advisories, talking points, Letters to the Editor, and Op-eds.
- Provides communications counsel and training for affiliate staff and leadership as needed.
- When necessary, works in the field to achieve media campaign goals.
- Completes special projects as assigned and required.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- 2 years of experience, preferably working directly with regional and national media, including reporters, producers, bloggers, and writers.
- Experience on elections or campaigns strongly preferred.
- Experience with Congressional and Federal health care policy issues, with a focus on pitching stories proactively and responding to intense, fast moving legislative battles. Must write and edit proficiently and quickly.
- Familiar with building relationships with members of national press and extensive knowledge of the operations of the news media (including print, online, blogs, and broadcast). Strong understanding of reproductive health issues and state and local political and governmental processes, including legislative and policy issues.
- Must be a team player, possess a sense of humor, and must remain calm under pressure. Knowledge of communicating with diverse groups, working with a multicultural workforce, and sensitivity and appreciation to cultural differences is required.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Must be a team player, possess a sense of humor, and must remain calm under pressure.
- Must be well-spoken.
- Excellent communication skills.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.