Staff Accountant (2)
New York, NY /
Office of the EVP & Chief Operating Officer (COO) – Finance /
Full Time - Non-Union
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the national umbrella organization for the nation’s leading network of women’s health care providers, educators, and advocates, serving women, men, teens and families. Planned Parenthood Action Fund (PPAF) is the advocacy and political arm of PPFA. For over 100 years, Planned Parenthood has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) and Planned Parenthood Action Fund (PPAF) seek a reliable and detail-oriented Accounting Specialist. This job reports to the Accounting Manager in the Finance Department of PPFA. The Finance Department provides confidence to all stakeholders in the fiscal and fiduciary responsibility of Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA), Planned Parenthood Action Fund (PPAF) and its related entities, and Planned Parenthood Global (PP Global) and its related entities (collectively the Organizations) with a commitment to customer service, sound controls, compliance monitoring, and timely, accurate, and complete reporting, analysis and decision support to further the Federation’s mission.
- Responsible for all Accounts Payable functions. Assists the Accounting Manager in drafting changes to disbursement policies and procedures; designs and implements improvements in those policies and procedures; executes disbursement to vendors and other creditors, employees, grantees and regional offices; and performs related tasks to ensure timely and accurate payment of all obligations for all PPFA related entities. Independently handles all Accounts Receivable billings and AR customer service.
- Comprehensive knowledge of all systems used by the Finance Division, including but not limited to Sage X3, Bank of America CashPro, and any new system implemented by the organization. Ensures the effective and efficient use of such systems.
- Performs the three-way match, ensuring that invoiced amount agrees to appropriate support.
- Reviews coding and enters pay orders into the accounting system.
- Performs wire and ACH transfers which includes initiating transfers with the bank, collating documentation, and securing signatures for wire release.
- Reviews and approves low-dollar invoices for processing.
- Acts as backup for check runs which includes printing checks, collating documentation, securing signatures on checks, and mailing them in accordance with policy.
- Acts as a backup for Senior Accountant in process of void, reissue, and stop payments for outstanding checks.
- Prepares pay orders for payments for Finance vendors.
- Prepares billings for PPOL, Smart 800 and other billings sent primarily to affiliates.
- Provides AR customer service.
- Generates and sends customer statements on aging AR billings.
- Creates monthly, quarterly, and annual General Ledger entries to properly allocate grant funding to affiliated organizations.
- Performs reconciliations of Accounts Payable and Receivable accounts.
- Acts as a backup for the Treasury Specialist in the processing of all in-house cash, checks and credit card receipts to ensure timely and accurate deposits, recording and reporting of receipts.
- Monitors internal Accounts Payable inbox and provides customer service to PPFA staff and vendors via email and telephone.
- Maintains filing of Accounts Payable documentation.
- Performs other special projects as assigned or requested.
- This role works closely with all departments throughout the organization.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs)
- Bachelor’s degree required along with some experience in Finance.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent planning, organizational, coordination and time management skills.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems.
- Must be able to work with little or no supervision and multi-task effectively.
- Strong computer skills are necessary including Microsoft Office and Google suites.
Starting Salary: $60k
Final offers for this job will be based on capabilities and will be made within the parameters of the PPFA compensation program. Total offer package to include generous vacation + sick leave + paid holidays, individual/family provided medical, dental and vision benefits effective day 1, life insurance, short/long term disability, paid family leave and 401k. We also offer voluntary opt in for Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Transportation/Commuter accounts.
We value a truly diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity and belonging. Our goal is to attract qualified candidates and encourage applications from all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
PPFA participates in the E-Verify program and is an Equal Opportunity Employer