2020 Summer Intern-Health Equity
New York, NY
Health Care – Health Outcomes Improvement
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) seeks a creative and passionate 2020 Health Equity Summer Intern. This job reports to the Director of Health Equity in the Public Health Outcomes Improvement Department of PPFA. The Public Health Outcomes Improvement Department provides strategic public health initiatives to improve population health outcomes and reduce health disparities with a focus on advancing health equity. The Health Equity Intern will provide a wide range of support towards operationalizing health equity including but not limited to: project coordination and management, research, data analysis, communications, and administrative functions. This includes developing and implementing a multi-year strategy for advancing health equity across the Federation based on existing evidence-based best practices. This is a very exciting opportunity for anyone interested in building a career in Health Equity.
The program runs from June 1st 2020 to August 14th 2020.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conduct research and literature reviews on evidence-based best practices and strategies for advancing health equity based on targeted topic areas, and compile into guidance materials to be shared with affiliates.
- Create and maintain a repository of existing health equity initiatives and/or strategies from across affiliates.
- Build out health equity intranet site which includes compiling and sharing of guidance materials and other best practice materials.
- Support communications including development of presentations, newsletters, talking points, blog posts etc.
- Assist in data analysis and benchmarking of health equity initiatives.
- Provide administrative support as needed, including but not limited to drafting meeting agendas, organizing meeting materials for distribution, reserving meeting rooms, physically setting up rooms, setting up video conferencing or presentation equipment, ordering catering and setting up, taking meeting minutes and escorting guests.
- Support contracting and procurement processes.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- Candidates should be a current associate, undergraduate, or graduate student or should have completed studies within the last six months.
- Pursuing a degree in a health or related social science.
- Demonstrated strong research, writing and editing skills. Preferably related to public health.
- Exceptional critical thinking skills with a knack for sustaining and/or improving systems. Some data analysis skills preferred.
- Strong project management skills including establishing priorities and working independently.
- Comfort and ease with discussing issues related to structural racism and other systems of oppression.
- Applications from students from underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
PERSONAL QUALITIES /OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- A strong commitment and understanding of the mission of Planned Parenthood and a passion for sexual and reproductive health and rights.
- Embody PPFA's organization tagline – “Care. No matter what.” as it applies to how we treat our patients, our affiliates, and our co-workers.
- Demonstrated passion, commitment, and understanding of health equity and other social justice issues. This includes possessing a strong analysis for how historical structural inequities impact health outcomes.
To be considered for this internship you must attach a current resume, cover letter stating your interest.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America participates in the E-Verify program.