User Experience (UX) Lead
New York, NY
Strategy – Digital Products
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the nation’s leading women’s health care provider, educator, and advocate, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, PPFA has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) seeks a dynamic and effective User Experience (UX) Lead who will report to the Senior Director, Digital Products Lab. The ideal candidate will be a flexible, collaborative thinker and use their expertise in interaction design and conversational and content-based interfaces to streamline complex information into elegant, accessible experiences.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead the translation of Planned Parenthood’s robust content and resources into an engaging messaging experience where teens can get personalized answers to their sexual and reproductive health questions.
- Oversee the design of our custom chatbot and adapt this experience for additional messaging platforms (e.g. Facebook Messenger, Kik, etc.) to reach different audiences and maximize impact and scale.
- Drive the strategy for training our AI platform and incorporating new content and resources in response to real user questions and feedback.
- Ideate and execute on entertaining and engaging new product features to increase word of mouth and organic interest, in partnership with back-end platform and agency partners.
- Partner with UX and Digital Products colleagues to develop a holistic strategy to integrate our chatbot with other Planned Parenthood products and resources based on user needs and priorities.
- Design, lead, and report on regular user research to deepen the Lab’s understanding of our core audience and their needs, and incorporate learnings into both new and existing products.
- Collaborate with broader user experience and brand teams to ensure a cohesive, user-centered approach across digital products.
- Serve as a champion of design thinking and innovation within both the Digital Product Lab and the broader Planned Parenthood Federation.
REQUIREMENTS / TECHNICAL EXPERTISE
- Higher education degree in design, new media, brand communication or related field, and/or equivalent work experience.
- 3+ years experience designing for digital products and interactions.
- Experience designing for conversational interfaces, chatbots, and/or messaging platforms.
- Experience working on products built around the artificial intelligence landscape.
- Experience leading user experience including visual, interactive, editorial, and content dimensions; also planning, conducting, and reporting on lean user research.
- Expertise in interaction design principles and applying product/UX strategy across platforms.
- Portfolio showcasing excellence in digital experience design.
PERSONAL QUALITIES / OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Consummate team player; excited to collaborate with people across different disciplines and skill sets.
- Comfortable wearing many hats within a small, cross-functional team.
- Strong empathy for users and a passion for designing for social impact.
- Able to get into the weeds of work, but always ready to take a step back to think about the bigger picture.
DIVERSE CANDIDATES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.