Lead Software Engineer, Application Architecture
New York, NY /
Office of the EVP & Chief Operating Officer (COO) – Information Technology /
Full Time - Non-Union
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the national umbrella organization for the nation’s leading network of women’s health care providers, educators, and advocates, serving women, men, teens and families. Planned Parenthood Action Fund (PPAF) is the advocacy and political arm of PPFA. For over 100 years, Planned Parenthood has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) seeks a dynamic and effective Lead Software Engineer, Application Architecture. This job reports to the Sr. Director of Application Development & Systems Integration in the Information Technology division of PPFA.
- Lead Software Engineer, Application Architecture is responsible for leading the engineering work on PPFA’s digital products and other software engineering initiatives, ensuring high quality and secure web application development practices. Lead Engineer partners closely with digital products, software engineering, development operations and information security teams to ensure business needs are clearly understood and the technology implemented meets the expectations of the business stakeholders, as well as that PPFA application security and development standards are considered and met throughout the software design, development, and maintenance process.
- Application Architecture and Development
- Define application architecture design for new products, guide technical implementation strategy in line with existing application architecture for new features on existing products, make other relevant technical decisions on new and current products and their launches / releases.
- Provide technical leadership across multiple development teams.
- Contribute to and ensure that business requirements, design specifications, technical specifications, user stories, and bug tickets are adequate and accurate.
- Ensure timely project execution.
- Identify new opportunities and technologies to ensure the effectiveness of our application development solutions, vendors, teams, and convince technical resources and business stakeholders to adopt those technology solutions.
- Help develop and maintain a powerful long-term technical vision and help the teams set pragmatic goals to meet it.
- Technical Program Management and Governance
- Promote Application Development Secure SDLC Program and work with internal and external stakeholders to ensure all products are implemented in line with SSDLC Program and strategic IT Application Development technical objectives.
- Provide reviews of applications from an Information Technology / Application Development perspective and be able to identify flags related to security and legal risks.
- Additional Duties As Assigned including but not limited to
- Participate in interviewing and screening candidates and potential vendors for the Application Development team and adjacent teams, assist in interviewing for technical roles outside of Application Development.
- Work with development operations engineers in carrying out releases through our SSDLC to production.
- Be a resource to others in the organization for technical guidance as it directly relates to the Application Development team and their work.
- Emergency response as needed.
- Data analytics and reporting.
- Lead Software Engineer works under the supervision of the Sr. Director, Application Development & Systems Integration, and closely collaborates with team members and other internal departments and external partner vendors, and contractors. Collaborate with internal and external vendor partner developers, information security, legal, and product stakeholders to ensure applications adhere to our Secure Software Development Life Cycle (SSDLC) procedures.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- Knowledge of Python, Django required, ideally has knowledge of Django CMS
- Knowledge of other languages and frameworks like Node.js, Ruby, PHP or Perl a plus
- Experience with HTML5, CSS3, React, Vue.js, or equivalent.
- Experience in implementing software development quality guidelines, standards and procedures.
- Experience implementing various web application architectures, APIs, and Content Management Systems, Python (Django, Wagtail, Flask, Tornado) or equivalent preferred
- Proficient in Linux shell scripting & CLI, Nginx web servers, Rancher, Docker, Docker-Compose, and Docker CLI
- Strong version control experience with Git, Github, Continuous Integration (Jenkins), and the full product development lifecycle
- Experience in designing database schemas and models - PostgreSQL, MySQL
- Experience in Team-Based Development (Scrum, Agile) and related tools
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Experience: 5+
- Related Skills or Knowledge:
- You are a compelling and clear communicator who networks well with business stakeholders to understand their product requirements
- Must be well organized, and able to organize work
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Knowledge of diverse groups, working with a multicultural workforce, and sensitivity and appreciation to cultural differences is required.
- Occasional, as needed
Starting Salary: 140k
Final offers for this job will be based on capabilities and will be made within the parameters of the PPFA compensation program. Total offer package to include generous vacation + sick leave + paid holidays, individual/family provided medical, dental and vision benefits effective day 1, life insurance, short/long term disability, paid family leave and 401k. We also offer voluntary opt in for Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Transportation/Commuter accounts.
We value a truly diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity and belonging. Our goal is to attract qualified candidates and encourage applications from all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
PPFA participates in the E-Verify program and is an Equal Opportunity Employer