Associate Director, State Media Campaigns
Communications & Culture – Media
Full Time - Non-Union
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the national umbrella organization for the nation’s leading network of women’s health care providers, educators, and advocates, serving women, men, teens and families. Planned Parenthood Action Fund is the advocacy and political arm of PPFA. For over 100 years, Planned Parenthood has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) and Planned Parenthood Action Fund seeks an associate director of state media campaigns who is a dynamic and strategic media professional. This job reports to the director of state media campaigns in the communications and culture division of PPFA. The state media campaigns team provides technical and strategic planning support to affiliate members and builds national media campaigns, which highlight the impact of state policies and litigation to reproductive health care access across the country.
This position may be located in DC or a telecommuter.
- The Associate Director would deepen technical support to affiliate communications teams and sharpen the national narrative around the fight for reproductive rights in states. The right candidate is an expert in driving advocacy media campaigns that breakthrough the noise while delegating day-to-day responsibilities of press officers executing that critical work.
- This person would provide management and coaching support to state media campaigns press officers who currently manage a portfolio in all 50 states fighting for both good reproductive health care policies and bad ones that pose a threat to abortion access; litigation communications; and electoral work. This leader will focus on big picture strategy-setting and coordinating cross divisionally in order to execute 360 campaigns critical to keeping Planned Parenthood’s doors open to patients nationwide.
- The Associate Director will report directly to the Director of State Media Campaigns and must be experienced in working with cross-departmental teams in executing projects. The individual must be collaborative and work intentionally to build effective partnerships internally within PPFA and externally with partners and stakeholders. The Associate Director must also have strong management and leadership capabilities to help the state media campaigns team carry out high profile national media campaigns. .
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs)
- The job duties require comprehensive knowledge of media relations obtained through substantial experience in shaping and carrying out proactive media strategies and working closely with members of the press corps as well as responding reactively in crisis situations. Some key skills include:
- Execute vision of communications strategy for Planned Parenthood’s state media campaigns team, at the direction of the director.
- Manage the day to day work of state media campaigns press officers and ensure the team is holistically and cohesively driving a strategic narrative in support of state advocacy fights including but not limited to policy, litigation, and electoral work that is mission critical to keeping Planned Parenthood health centers open.
- Partner with cross divisional state fights teams to build 360 national media campaigns that educate and motivate key audiences and stakeholders.
- Provide expert technical support to affiliates, including message guidance, strategic planning, and rapid response. Tag team with state media campaigns director in setting strategy and big picture thinking around state fights.
- Build and manage a consistent database of national reporters covering state reproductive health/rights issues and maintain these key relationships.
- Support the state media campaigns team in ensuring our narratives are inclusive and centers the communities most impacted. This work will include building and maintaining relationships with coalition partners.
- Drive and implement communications strategies on state advocacy issues — both long-lead proactive pitching, developing campaigns, and responding to and shaping breaking news.
- Serve as an internal consultant to teams across the Federation on state advocacy issues ensuring PPFA is consistent and accurate in how our issues are communicated.
- Draft various media materials, including press releases, advisories, talking points, letters to the editor, op-eds, fact sheets, and briefings. This candidate should also be savvy in strategic about when and how to use other background materials like Interested Parties Memos, ICYMI’s, and Talkers memos.
- Deepen the depth and breadth of the state media campaigns team in its ability to support affiliates in the state fights ecosystem.
- Help manage the state media campaigns team budget.
- Must be willing and able to travel 30% - 40% of the time.
PPFA participates in the E-Verify program. We are an equal employment opportunity employer and are committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.