Director, Equity and Learning - Southern Central New York
Schenectady, NY /
Equity and Learning – Equity and Learning /
Planned Parenthood of Greater New York is seeking a Director of Equity and Learning for Southern Central New York
This is an exciting and important time at Planned Parenthood of Greater New York . We are building on our strength with dynamic new leadership, talented staff members, engaged donors and activists, and amazing community partners. We are determined to thrive and grow in these times of transition and resistance.
Planned Parenthood of Greater New York (PPGNY) stands strong as a trusted provider of sexual and reproductive health (SRH) care, an accurate source of sexual health information, and a steadfast partner in the ongoing fight to achieve sexual and reproductive justice, especially health and racial equity. Working at PPGNY is more than a job. It is an opportunity to help ensure that all New Yorkers have access to affordable, high-quality sexual and reproductive health care and evidence-based education programming so they can lead healthy lives and fulfill their dreams. We approach our work through a reproductive justice lens, seeking to break down the barriers that prevent individuals from accessing the health care and information they need and deserve.
The Director, Equity and Learning will work closely with PPGNY teams within Southern Central New York (including Duchess, Sullivan, Orange, Ulster, Fulton, Warren, Schenectady, Saratoga, Schoharie, Montgomery) to shape and implement a region-specific internal culture and equity strategy and related change initiatives, with a vision for PPGNY to more clearly articulate and exemplify an intersectional race equity and reproductive rights and justice lens in its work.
The Director will work flexibly and collaboratively across different organizational functions within the region of Southern Central New York, partner closely with the Chief Equity and Learning Officer (CELO) in creating equitable systems for all of PPGNY, and manage an Equity and Learning Training Manager as part of a regional team. This is an ideal opportunity for a committed leader and change agent with experience and a track record of creating more equitable and effective organizational cultures and systems.
This is a full-time position located within Southern Central New York, and involves travel within the region and New York State about 20% of the time. We are considering candidates who are willing and able to travel around Duchess, Sullivan, Orange, Ulster, Fulton, Warren, Schenectady, Saratoga, Schoharie, and Montgomery counties as need.
What the Director of Equity and Learning does:
- Responsibilities include shaping and implementing learning curriculum to ensure all employees are growing in their skills, knowledge and experience to integrate equity, especially race equity in their functions; designing and implementing systems of accountability including enhanced / new policies; and managing other region-focused responsibilities such as strategic partnerships and budget oversight.
- Learning and Training: The Director will partner with the CELO to develop and implement an innovative and inspiring learning curriculum to ensure PPGNY staff within the region are growing in their skills, knowledge and experience to integrate equity, especially race equity, in their work. This includes directly facilitating - or partnering with external consultants to implement - equity dialogues and training, such as to support systems changes related to hiring and performance evaluations.
- Equity Systems and Supports: The Director will partner the CELO in developing and implementing new equity initiatives and changes for PPGNY. These initiatives include putting in place eco-system supports such as affinity groups, caucuses, and cross department work teams within the region; and rolling out other interventions within the region to integrate equity considerations in systems such as hiring, onboarding, performance evaluations and promotions related to human resources, as well as in functions such as communications, procurement, and clinical services.
- Assessment and Accountability: The Director will partner the CELO and Equity Initiatives Manager to regularly gather and use data to assess and shape organizational culture and equity within the region. This includes supporting the implementation of dedicated equity-related surveys and assessments; collaborating with other departments to analyze Press Ganey data with an equity lens; and gathering, tracking and reporting data across departments that measure organizational performance on equity, especially race equity.
- Community-building: The Director will network effectively across a complex organizational structure, building collaborative relationships across key stakeholders and coaching and supporting various departments and teams within the region in order to ensure that equity, especially race equity, is centered in service delivery, programs, and administrative functions. They will also build and manage relationships with external partners as needed to implement the organization’s equity and inclusion plan.
- Complete all responsibilities according to established protocols, policies and standard practices in the areas of ADA and regulatory compliance programs such as HIPAA.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- A demonstrated commitment to PPGNY’s mission related to bodily autonomy, health equity, and gender and racial justice.
- 5 years of work experience involving an established track record of leading internal Equity and Inclusion initiatives, organizational development and/or change management efforts either as a staff leader or consultant and trainer.
- Deep knowledge and experience with applying anti-oppressive and equity frameworks in service delivery and organizational practice, including cultural responsiveness related to race, class, age, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin or ability, with a particular focus on dismantling and structural and institutional racism
- Excellent relationship building and communication skills, including a strong ability to work across cultural difference, build trust with culturally diverse teams, and reflect on one’s personal identity with humility
- 2+ years experience managing and mentoring a culturally diverse team, including a strong ability to create and sustain an organizational culture that fosters inclusiveness and equity, and to provide positive and developmental feedback and accountability related to practices including but not limited to equity
- Track record of collaborating with and influencing diverse groups of stakeholders to achieve outcomes, including when no direct reporting relationship exists.
- Ambitious, tenacious and results-oriented in the face of resistance and adversity
- Bachelors’ Degree
- Work experience in social justice organizations
- Knowledge and experience working within Southern Central New York, including an understanding of local policies, geography, demographics, and culture
- Experience leveraging data to shape programs and strategies
PPGNY's benefits package includes:
Generous PTO and holiday schedule
Medical, dental and vision coverage options for you and eligible dependents
FSA, HSA, Commuter pre-tax reimbursement funds
Short and Long Term Disability, Free Basic Life and AD&D
401(k) Retirement Plan with Safe Harbor contributions after 1 year of employment
All positions at PPGNY require:
Proof of immunization or immunity to certain communicable diseases (including influenza during the flu season) and testing for tuberculosis. These certifications are required by the NYC DOHMH Health Code, NYSDOH and OSHA.
Planned Parenthood of Greater New York (PPGNY) is a leading provider, educator, and advocate of sexual and reproductive health care in New York State. PPGNY is proud to provide a wide-range of family planning services at our 28 health centers and mobile care units. We care for everyone regardless of their immigration status, zip code or ability to pay. PPGNY’s education and outreach programs are backed by medically-accurate, evidence-based information that allows people to make informed decisions about their health and future. As a voice for reproductive freedom, PPGNY supports legislation and policies that ensure all New Yorkers have access to the full range of reproductive health care and education.
At PPGNY, we provide the absolute best care to our patients and our communities through innovative health care delivery and education programming. We care for everyone who walks through our doors regardless of insurance, ability to pay or immigration status. As a leading voice for reproductive freedom, PPGNY fiercely advocates for policies to ensure that all New Yorkers will have access to the full range of reproductive health care services and information.
PPGNY is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe we are most impactful when people with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and identities come together with common purpose. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.