Registered Nurse (RN) - Hempstead, NY
Hempstead, NY /
Clinical – Clinical Services - Health Center Based /
Planned Parenthood of Greater New York is seeking a Registered Nurse to join our Clinical Services team for a full-time 37.5-hour work week. This position will be based at our Hempstead location on 540 Fulton Ave, Hempstead, NY 11550 and may be asked to assist at our Massapequa and Glen Cove locations as needed.
All Registered Nurse opportunities are expected to work any combination of weekdays and Saturdays that include hours up to 9:00pm.
This is an exciting and important time at Planned Parenthood of Greater New York . We are building on our strength with dynamic new leadership, talented staff members, engaged donors and activists, and amazing community partners. We are determined to thrive and grow in these times of transition and resistance.
Planned Parenthood of Greater New York (PPGNY) stands strong as a trusted provider of sexual and reproductive health (SRH) care, an accurate source of sexual health information, and a steadfast partner in the ongoing fight to achieve sexual and reproductive justice, especially health and racial equity. Working at PPGNY is more than a job. It is an opportunity to help ensure that all New Yorkers have access to affordable, high-quality sexual and reproductive health care and evidence-based education programming so they can lead healthy lives and fulfill their dreams. We approach our work through a reproductive justice lens, seeking to break down the barriers that prevent individuals from accessing the health care and information they need and deserve.
What a Registered Nurse does:
- Provide family planning, prenatal and/or abortion services to patients in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations, health care licensing, contracts, Planned Parenthood policies/procedures and medical protocols.
- Follow-up on abnormal pap smears and other laboratory test results including referrals for breast masses, pelvic sonograms, etc.
- Act as a health center nurse and cover the recovery room as needed. When acting in this capacity, you are responsible for continuous monitoring and care of patients after they leave the procedure room.
- Maintain a complete record of the patient’s general condition including occurrence of complications, and provides education and emotional support to each patient.
- Must be able to accurately assess blood pressure, administer vaccines, perform IM injections/venipuncture, and start an IV.
- Ensure that health care delivered supports an organizational commitment to equity, especially race equity, as a core component of PP's values.
- Registered Nurse BSN licensed to practice in NYS
- BLS and CPR Certified
- Ability to work flexible hours including a combination of weekdays and Saturdays where evenings are included
- Ability to accurately assess blood pressure, administer vaccines, perform IM injections/venipuncture, and start an IV.
- Demonstrate a commitment to PP's values of advancing health equity, especially racial equity.
- At least one year of nursing experience, preferably in a reproductive health or ambulatory surgical services setting
- Demonstrate an ability to work well with others across cultural difference.
- You have a demonstrated understanding of the role that racial inequity plays in our society and its impact on healthcare systems and institutions, and consistently integrate your deep understanding of key racial equity concepts into work projects and interactions by addressing structural implications and disproportionate impacts of policies, activities, and decisions on race, class and other group identities within the context of job responsibilities and projects.
- You have a demonstrated understanding of how race dynamics impact supervisory relationships, organizational culture, clinical service delivery, partnerships, campaigns and coalition work, and can demonstrate a history of successfully intervening in problematic dynamics and deepening a racial equity approach within an organization, team, service, program, or campaign.
- ACLS certified
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
- Knowledge of electronic health records systems, eClinicalWorks is preferred
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively with diverse staff and clients
PPGNY's benefits package includes:
Generous PTO and holiday schedule
Medical, dental and vision coverage options for you and eligible dependents
FSA, HSA, Commuter pre-tax reimbursement funds
Short and Long Term Disability, Free Basic Life and AD&D
401(k) Retirement Plan with Safe Harbor contributions after 1 year of employment
All positions at PPGNY require:
Proof of immunization or immunity to certain communicable diseases (including influenza during the flu season) and testing for tuberculosis. These certifications are required by the NYC DOHMH Health Code, NYSDOH and OSHA.
Planned Parenthood of Greater New York (PPGNY) is a leading provider, educator, and advocate of sexual and reproductive health care in New York State. PPGNY is proud to provide a wide-range of family planning services at our 28 health centers and mobile care units. We care for everyone regardless of their immigration status, zip code or ability to pay. PPGNY’s education and outreach programs are backed by medically-accurate, evidence-based information that allows people to make informed decisions about their health and future. As a voice for reproductive freedom, PPGNY supports legislation and policies that ensure all New Yorkers have access to the full range of reproductive health care and education.
At PPGNY, we provide the absolute best care to our patients and our communities through innovative health care delivery and education programming. We care for everyone who walks through our doors regardless of insurance, ability to pay or immigration status. As a leading voice for reproductive freedom, PPGNY fiercely advocates for policies to ensure that all New Yorkers will have access to the full range of reproductive health care services and information.
PPGNY is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe we are most impactful when people with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and identities come together with common purpose. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.