Health Educator/Youth Advisor
Newburgh, NY /
Equity and Engagement – Equity and Engagement /
At Planned Parenthood of Greater New York (PPGNY), our greatest strengths are the employees who empower every individual with the information, resources, and care they need to live happy, healthy lives.
We are a team of trusted health care providers, educators, and fierce advocates committed to advancing equity and improving health outcomes in communities that face systemic barriers to quality, innovative sexual and reproductive health services -- including birth control, pregnancy testing, emergency contraception, cancer screenings, STI testing and treatment, HIV testing and prevention, transgender hormone therapy, wellness exams, crisis counseling, and financial counseling. PPGNY also proudly provides compassionate, nonjudgmental abortion services.
Picture yourself here:
When you join PPGNY as a Health Educator/Youth Advisor you will provide evidence based sex education, mentorship and supervision to youth, young adults and families.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Promote and engage in meaningful outreach programs with community members, organizations, parents and professionals in prioritized zip codes in accordance with grant and work plan objectives.
- Maintain community relationships by representing PPGNY at community meetings, and engaging professionally with community stakeholders, organizations, youth, parents and professionals.
- Provides assistance and/or referrals for youth to obtain comprehensive family planning services, health services or other essential support services
- Recruit, train, support and supervise young people for the Peer Education program
- Coordinate, plan and prepare weekly meetings for Peer Educators to ensure they are well-trained and provided with opportunities to support their growth and development
- Schedule outreach and education sessions for Peer Educators and provide onsite support during these events
- Collect demographic, monitoring and evaluation data from workshop and training participants; compile data appropriately and prepares submission and periodic reporting.
- Requires an ability equal to that usually derived from satisfactory completion of courses required for graduation from an accredited college or university with a Baccalaureate Degree in education, communication, social work, public health, or related field.
- Experience working with and engaging youth.
- Own transportation is required, with a valid NYS driver’s license, inspection, registration, and adequate insurance
- Ability to work hours 9:00 AM- 4:30 PM
- Experience with communities impacted by adverse health outcomes, knowledge systemic barriers to sexual reproductive health and wellbeing faced by marginalized communities especially women, LGBTQ, poor/working class and communities of color.
- Analysis of how systemic oppression and racism impacts communities of color.
What makes you stand out
- Skilled communicator who can connect with young people, adult community members, administrators, funders, etc.
- Excellent listening and relationship building skills across difference.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Demonstrates flexibility, creativity, problem solving skills and initiative.
PPGNY's benefits package includes:
Generous PTO and holiday schedule
Medical, dental and vision coverage options for you and eligible dependents
FSA, HSA, Commuter pre-tax reimbursement funds
Short and Long Term Disability, Free Basic Life and AD&D
401(k) Retirement Plan with Safe Harbor contributions after 1 year of employment
All positions at PPGNY require:
Proof of immunization or immunity to certain communicable diseases (including influenza during the flu season) and testing for tuberculosis. These certifications are required by the NYC DOHMH Health Code, NYSDOH and OSHA.
Planned Parenthood of Greater New York (PPGNY) is a leading provider, educator, and advocate of sexual and reproductive health care in New York State. PPGNY is proud to provide a wide-range of family planning services at our 28 health centers and mobile care units. We care for everyone regardless of their immigration status, zip code or ability to pay. PPGNY’s education and outreach programs are backed by medically-accurate, evidence-based information that allows people to make informed decisions about their health and future. As a voice for reproductive freedom, PPGNY supports legislation and policies that ensure all New Yorkers have access to the full range of reproductive health care and education.
At PPGNY, we provide the absolute best care to our patients and our communities through innovative health care delivery and education programming. We care for everyone who walks through our doors regardless of insurance, ability to pay or immigration status. As a leading voice for reproductive freedom, PPGNY fiercely advocates for policies to ensure that all New Yorkers will have access to the full range of reproductive health care services and information.
PPGNY is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe we are most impactful when people with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and identities come together with common purpose. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.