Chief External Affairs Officer (CEAO)
Manhattan, New York - Admin Offices /
External Affairs – Public Affairs /
Planned Parenthood of Greater NY is seeking a Chief External Affairs Officer (CEAO). This position will be based at 26 Bleecker Street New York, NY 10012 .
Planned Parenthood of Greater New York (PPGNY) stands strong as a trusted provider of sexual and reproductive health (SRH) care, an accurate source of sexual health information, and a steadfast partner in the ongoing fight to achieve sexual and reproductive justice, especially health and racial equity.
As PPGNY looks to the future, we are laying bold, innovative plans to grow our reach and serve New Yorkers more effectively, affirming our commitment to strengthen community engagement, expand access to services, enhance patient experience and advance health equity for all. Our strategic plan is anchored by our driving vision: building a world where all communities have full access to innovative, high-quality, evidence-based SRH services, whenever, wherever, and however they are needed.
This is an extraordinary moment for Planned Parenthood in New York State, ripe with opportunity, to build on a rich history and foundation, and transform an institution that is embedded in the fabric of our city and state, and to re-envision the way we deliver our mission to meet the needs of New Yorkers. We are determined to thrive and grow in these times of transition and resistance, and significantly increase our impact.
PPGNY has tremendous reach, covering over half of the state’s counties (31) and 65% of its population in its urban, suburban, and rural service areas. And its new infrastructure is of special significance in positioning New York as a human rights sanctuary at this time of extreme threat to sexual and reproductive rights.
Working at PPGNY is more than a job. It is an opportunity to help ensure that all New Yorkers have access to affordable, high-quality sexual and reproductive health care and evidence-based education programming so they can lead healthy lives and fulfill their dreams. We approach our work through a reproductive justice lens, seeking to break down the barriers that prevent individuals from accessing the health care and information they need and deserve.
What the Chief External Affairs Officer does:
- Reporting to the President & CEO, you will lead the External Affair Team in providing strategic communications, marketing, public policy, organizing, and electoral vision and management.
- You will assure that PPGNY plays a key role in determining the sexual and reproductive health policies of New York State and New York City by enabling the media, public officials, supporters, activists, and donors to understand and take informed action on issues that impact an individual’s ability to make comprehensive, educate sexual and reproductive health choices.
- You will oversee the marketing and promotion of all of PPGNY’s services and programs to patients and communities.
- Additionally, you will serve as the organizational lead on all internal communications, playing a strategic role with the President & CEO in developing and implementing branding and communications message frames and in leading all crisis communications efforts on behalf of the organization.
- You will define PPGNY’s state and local political agenda in partnership with Planned Parenthood Empire State Acts (PPESA), and support the work of the PPGNY Action Fund (C4), PPGNY Votes (Political Committee), PPGNY Votes PAC, and PPGNY Votes Federal SuperPAC.
- You will report directly to the President & CEO, manage three direct reports, and lead a team of 24 External Affairs staff working across PPGNY.
How the Chief External Affairs Officer is measured:
- Responsible for leading the External Affairs Team including directly supervising the Vice President, Governmental Affairs, Vice President, Electoral and Organizing, and Vice President, Communications and Marketing. Manage and support all departmental staff to promote the goals of the External Affairs Team and PPGNY as a whole.
- Serve as a member of PPGNY’s Senior Leadership Team, participating in enterprise wide management including but not limited to developing overall policies, long-range planning, goals and objectives.
- Develop and implement PPGNY’s integrated strategic communications plan in partnership with a senior team to advance PPGNY’s brand identity, broaden awareness of its clinical services, programs, policy initiatives and organizational priorities, and increase the visibility of its programs across key stakeholder audiences.Serve as communications advisor to the President & CEO and work closely with the Office of the President on critical internal communications, as well as crisis communications on an as needed basis.
- Develop and implement PPGNY’s annual city, state, and federal legislative strategy in partnership with PPESA, other New York State Planned Parenthood Affiliates, Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) and PPGNY senior staff.
- Develop and implement PPGNY’s annual electoral and organizing plan in partnership with PPESA, other New York State Planned Parenthood Affiliates, Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA), and PPGNY senior staff. This will include a grassroots strategy to mobilize large numbers of supporters for our mission across New York City and New York State.
- Cultivate and maintain ongoing relationships with city, state and federal legislators and policymakers in district, Albany, and Washington DC. Represent PPGNY and serve as a key liaison to government agencies, elected and appointed officials and other sexual and reproductive health, rights, and justice organizations. Work closely with and support the President & CEO in her role as the principal voice of the organization.
- Staff and support the PPGNY Action Fund, PPGNY Votes, PPGNY Votes PAC, and PPGNY Votes Federal SuperPAC working in close partnership with the President & CEO and the full Office of the President.
- Work in partnership with the President & CEO to support the efforts of Board members, other volunteers, activists and staff to influence key opinion makers, elected and appointed officials so that they support the cause of sexual and reproductive health, rights, and justice.
- Working in partnership with the Office of the President, Development, Equity & Learning, and Equity & Engagement, create an affiliate-wide message frame that can be adapted for different key organizational constituencies.
What Qualifies You:
- You will bring an unwavering belief in our mission and conviction about health and racial equity and bodily autonomy. You have a high tolerance for uncertainty and change, and have extensive experience driving strategic communications and political strategy across regional organizations.
- Deep, abiding belief in PPGNY’s mission as it relates to bodily autonomy, health equity, and gender and racial justice.
- A proven track record of achievement in communications, media relations, marketing, advocacy, electoral work, and/or lobbying.
- A minimum of 10+ years experience in a relevant field with demonstrated increases in levels of responsibility, including prior experience as a member of a senior leadership team.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills that can be adapted to different settings targeting various constituencies.
- Dedication to learning about and enhancing practices related to racial equity and its impact on healthcare systems and nonprofit organizations.
- Strong relationship building and communication skills, including an ability to work and build trust across cultural differences related to race, class, age, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin or ability, and to reflect on one’s personal identity with humility.
- The ability to manage and mentor a culturally-diverse team, including creating and sustaining an organizational culture that fosters inclusiveness and equity, and providing positive and developmental feedback and accountability related to practices including but not limited to equity.
- A proven track record of managing and succeeding in a high stakes, fast paced environment working with deeply engaged internal and external stakeholders.
- Must be able to travel up to 25% to ensure visibility across all affiliate program and service areas.
- Excellent follow through skills and the ability to anticipate and address business needs proactively.
- Team-oriented attitude balanced with ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to maintain a sense of perspective and sense of humor through challenge, uncertainty and change
PPGNY's benefits package includes:
Generous PTO and holiday schedule
Medical, dental and vision coverage options for you and eligible dependents
FSA, HSA, Commuter pre-tax reimbursement funds
Short and Long Term Disability, Free Basic Life and AD&D
401(k) Retirement Plan with Safe Harbor contributions after 1 year of employment
All positions at PPGNY require:
Proof of immunization or immunity to certain communicable diseases (including influenza during the flu season) and testing for tuberculosis. These certifications are required by the NYC DOHMH Health Code, NYSDOH and OSHA.
Planned Parenthood of Greater New York (PPGNY) is a leading provider, educator, and advocate of sexual and reproductive health care in New York State. PPGNY is proud to provide a wide-range of family planning services at our 28 health centers and mobile care units. We care for everyone regardless of their immigration status, zip code or ability to pay. PPGNY’s education and outreach programs are backed by medically-accurate, evidence-based information that allows people to make informed decisions about their health and future. As a voice for reproductive freedom, PPGNY supports legislation and policies that ensure all New Yorkers have access to the full range of reproductive health care and education.
At PPGNY, we provide the absolute best care to our patients and our communities through innovative health care delivery and education programming. We care for everyone who walks through our doors regardless of insurance, ability to pay or immigration status. As a leading voice for reproductive freedom, PPGNY fiercely advocates for policies to ensure that all New Yorkers will have access to the full range of reproductive health care services and information.
PPGNY is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe we are most impactful when people with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and identities come together with common purpose. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply.