Waukegan, IL /
Waukegan Health Center /
Just a few of the Benefits enjoyed by PPIL employees…
-Company subsidized premiums on Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
-Up to 12 weeks Paid Parental Leave for eligible employees
-Generous Paid Time Off (PTO) and paid holidays
-Mission focused work
-401k with employer matching
-100% company-paid Life Insurance
-100% company-paid Short and Long Term Disability Coverage
-Robust Employee Assistance Program
-Professional Development awards and opportunities
-Flexible Spending Accounts
-Free Medical Services at PPIL
This position includes a sign-on/retention/competency bonus of $2,000 that is paid throughout the first year of employment ($500 on the first paycheck).
Planned Parenthood of Illinois is compliant with Governor Pritzker’s 8/26/21 Executive Order covering Healthcare Workers. Furthermore, all staff at Planned Parenthood of Illinois are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by 10/15/21. Planned Parenthood of Illinois is an equal opportunity employer and reasonable accommodations will be provided based on religious beliefs and to those with disabilities.
Hourly rate: $18.15
The Medical Assistant performs the basic duties of a medical assistant such as, maintaining medical records and logs, also performing routine clerical duties, and responding to patient inquiries and needs including fee assessment and insurance coverage, also basic lab work. This position works under the supervision of the Health Center Manager.
1. Practice a customer-oriented approach to health care delivery. Ensure through a professional and open manner that each patient receives the care and information she needs.
2. In accordance with CLIA and OSHA guidelines, demonstrate proficiency in use of autoclave and routine laboratory tests, such as phlebotomy, Urine GC/CT, Rapid HIV, pregnancy tests, and Hemocue.
3. Demonstrate proficiency while performing check-in duties, schedule patient appointments using Appointment Requestor, maintain medical records and logs, and otherwise respond to patient inquiries and needs.
4. Participate in health center efforts:
-for compliance with organizational quality assurance guidelines and pertinent government regulations including OSHA and CLIA
-in achievement of medical visit and productivity goals
-in attainment of annual health center fiscal goals in revenue, expenses, and contribution margin
5. Assist in the provision of contraceptive supplies, and provide information and instructions for their use, as appropriate and delegated by the Health Center Manager and medical staff.
6. In compliance with OSHA and CLIA guidelines, provide recovery room assistance (as applicable), contraception education, and appropriate documentation.
7. Assist in the clerical and informational tasks related to proper follow-up of patients according to the protocols and procedures of PPIL.
8. Be responsible for the maintenance of an efficient, clean and comfortable Health Center facility.
9. Participate, as assigned, in routine Health Center chart audits and quality assurance procedures.
10. Provide support and direction to Health Center volunteers as needed and directed by the Health Center Manager.
11. Take personal responsibility to remain informed about family planning methods, abortion and other services offered by PPIL, and PPIL protocols, policies and procedures, to give regular feedback to the Health Center Manager regarding training and continuing education needs.
12. Through these activities demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to PPIL core values of access, activism, care, confidentiality, diversity, excellence, integrity, respect, self-determination, and stewardship; practice these values in relations with internal and external customers.
13. Other duties as assigned.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, talk, and hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands and fingers to handle, or feel and reach. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Supervisor: Health Center Manager
Status: Full time. Non-exempt from the overtime provisions of the wage and salary regulations.
High School Diploma or GED. Certified Medical Assistant or equivalent experience preferred. Additional training and/or education in reproductive health is desirable.
Previous professional experience with the provision of family planning services is preferred. Previous medical laboratory and/or counseling experience desirable, as well as familiarity with computer databases.
Personal & Professional Qualities:
Commitment to the efficient and customer-oriented provision of services, as well as a commitment to the operating goals of Planned Parenthood of Illinois.
Excellent communication skills. Ability to communicate with patients, the public, staff, and volunteers in a professional, warm, and sensitive manner. Bi-lingual ability in Spanish is helpful.
High energy level, organizational skills and attention to detail required. Willingness to participate in a team approach to health care.
Must be willing and able to work a schedule that may include evening and weekend hours, and to work at other PPIL centers if needed.
Planned Parenthood works affirmatively to include diversity among its workforce and does not discriminate in the selection of its staff based on factors including but not limited to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, income, marital status or any other characteristic protected under federal, state or local law. We encourage diverse candidates to apply for this position.