Recovery Room Nurse (LPN/RN) - Aurora
Aurora, IL /
Medical Services /
Just a few of the Benefits enjoyed by PPIL employees…
-Company subsidized premiums on Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
-Up to 12 weeks Paid Parental Leave for eligible employees
-Generous Paid Time Off (PTO) and paid holidays
-Mission focused work
-401k with employer matching
-100% company-paid Life Insurance
-100% company-paid Short and Long Term Disability Coverage
-Robust Employee Assistance Program
-Professional Development awards and opportunities
-Flexible Spending Accounts
-Free Medical Services at PPIL
Planned Parenthood of Illinois is compliant with Governor Pritzker’s 8/26/21 Executive Order covering Healthcare Workers. Furthermore, all staff at Planned Parenthood of Illinois are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by 10/15/21. Planned Parenthood of Illinois is an equal opportunity employer and reasonable accommodations will be provided based on religious beliefs and to those with disabilities.
Licensed Practical Nurse/Registered Nurse
The Registered Nurse is part of the staff team that provides reproductive health services in accordance with Planned Parenthood of Illinois’ policies, protocols, and procedures.
1. Provide nursing care to patients in PPIL’s health centers’ recovery rooms in accordance with all Planned Parenthood of Illinois policies and protocols, OSHA/CLIA regulations.
2. Assist physician with emergencies during clinic, screen patients with medical problems, and train staff on medical emergencies.
3. Oversee abortion complications and follow-up, achieving abortion medical occurrence rate of 1% or less.
4. Monitor medications/crash cart, inventory and logs and ensure proper functioning of equipment.
5. Accept individual and joint responsibility for, and participate in health center efforts to achieve:
- annual plan (i.e. AB clients to goal)
- abortion visits of 3 hours or less;
- abortion medical occurrence rate of 1% or less as defined by the PPFA list of abortion occurrences;
- attainment of annual health center fiscal goals in revenue, expenses, and contribution margin.
6. Understand, commit to, and practice a market and customer oriented approach to health care delivery.
7. Accept individual and joint responsibility for, and participate in, health center efforts to comply with all organizational quality assurance guidelines and all pertinent government regulations including OSHA and CLIA.
8. Through these activities demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to PPIL core values of access, activism, care, confidentiality, diversity, excellence, integrity, respect, self-determination, and stewardship; practice these values in relations with internal and external customers.
1. Assist and monitor patients in recovery room. This includes taking vital signs, dispensing medications, giving verbal and written aftercare instructions and birth control information, and reporting signs or symptoms of post abortion complications to M.D.
2. Assist M.D. in procedure room during medical emergencies.
3. Handle "emergency" patient calls, to be shared with the licensed clinical staff or other delegated staff as assigned. This includes documentation and follow-up of all calls received.
4. Screen clients with medical problems prior to making abortion appointments in conjunction with Medical Director.
5. Monitor controlled substances and crash cart medications and keep logs daily or monthly as indicated by protocols.
6. Take monthly inventory of abortion medications. Perform monthly inventory of recovery room medications and supplies including those used for anesthesia on-site as requested.
7. Review all abortion-related pathology reports, and deliver appropriate follow-up to patients. May include reviewing, signing off, and documenting receipt of LabCorp pathology reports at Aurora.
8. Serve as primary clinical staff responsible for answering AB ‘problem’ phone calls received through the call center and calling patients for routine AB follow up issues as requested. Ensure follow up is completed per PPIL protocols.
9. In conjunction with the health center manager, supervise maintenance of the complication log & completion of occurrence reports as requested.
10. Take personal responsibility to remain informed about family planning methods, abortion issues and technology, services offered by PPIL, and PPIL protocols, policies and procedures, to give regular feedback to the Health Center Manager regarding training and continuing education needs.
11. Collaborate with Health Center Manager, Regional Directors and Medical Director regarding day to day Recovery Room operations.
12. Other duties as assigned.
The physical demand characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, walk, talk, read, see and hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands and fingers to type, handle, or feel and reach. The employee is regularly required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Supervisor: Medical Director and Health Center Manager
Status: Part-time. Non-exempt from the overtime provisions of the wage and salary regulations.
Education: A Licensed Practical Nurse or Registered Nurse licensed in the state of Illinois.
Experience: Previous experience in an OB/GYN related field preferred but not required. Spanish speaking preferred but not required.
Professional and Personal Qualities: Commitment to the efficient and customer-oriented provision of services, as well as commitment to the operating goals of Planned Parenthood of Illinois. Willingness to participate in a team approach to health care delivery.
Planned Parenthood works affirmatively to include diversity among its workforce and does not discriminate in the selection of its staff based on factors including but not limited to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, income, marital status or any other characteristic protected under federal, state or local law. We encourage diverse candidates to apply for this position.