Community Health Educator
Reading Medical Center /
Community Health Education /
Planned Parenthood Keystone (PPKey) serves 37 counties in Pennsylvania, home to over half of Pennsylvania residents. We have administrative offices in the Lehigh Valley, Harrisburg, Warminster, and York. We operate 9 medical centers that serve over 22,000 patients annually and offer comprehensive sexuality education that reaches thousands of young adults.
Planned Parenthood Keystone is looking for individuals who are committed to supporting our shared goal of strengthening and enhancing our awareness and commitment to advancing the cause of racial & social justice in our organization.
Planned Parenthood Keystone is looking for a full-time, non-exempt Community Health Educator based in Reading, PA.
As a member of the Education & Training team, the Community Health Educator is responsible for providing comprehensive, age-appropriate sexuality education programs, resources, and referrals through the Health Resource Center program.
The responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Staff and coordinate our Reading based Health Resource Center. Work in partnership with facility staff to properly plan and implement the Health Resource Center program.
- Provide medically accurate, comprehensive, age-appropriate programs on topics including, but not limited to family planning, contraception, abortion, human sexuality, sexually transmitted infections, sexual orientation, gender identity, and Planned Parenthood services
- Maintain Health Resource Center office hours where students can receive evidence- based, confidential individual-level counseling, referrals and direct linkages to core family planning and sexual health services, and safer sex supplies and education information
- Facilitate and provide leadership for The Spectrum, our Berks County based weekly LGBTQ+ youth program and The Curve, our York County based weekly LGBTQ+ youth program.
- Plan and implement health awareness campaigns in Reading to market and benefit the Health Resource Center
- Work on the PPFA Chat/Text line for required shifts each week.
- Maintain a social media presence on Facebook, Instagram, and TikTok for the HRC and for the LGBTQ+ youth programs.
- Enter required data, maintain program documentation and author required records/reports
- Follow the organization's policies, procedures and protocols
- Review the literature on related topics on a regular basis
- Maintain client and program participant confidentiality
- Assist with periodic needs assessments of the communities we serve
- Assist with the departmental budgeting process as needed
- Assist the Director of Training, Community Outreach, and Education with other assigned tasks as needed
- Serve as an Ambassador for the organization to inspire support and connection with the mission and services provided by the affiliate
- Ensure completion of required annual training
- Adhere to all HIPAA and patient privacy regulations
Qualifications & Experience (required):
- Bachelor’s degree in education or related field, or equivalent experience in family planning, counseling, education, social services or healthcare
- Ability & Willingness to travel. Reliable means of transportation
- Computer literacy, including competency in affiliate email, Internet, and patient management systems software, if applicable to job
- Must possess excellent verbal communication and interpersonal skills, ability to relate to diverse communities, and possesses a warm and caring manner
- Excellent communication skills in listening and speaking to large and small groups and to individuals. Proficiency with group facilitation and classroom management
- Ability to master knowledge and skill levels necessary for maintaining high quality teaching of comprehensive sexuality education
- Must possess ability to plan, set priorities, and meet deadlines
- Availability to work flexible hours, evenings and weekends, as required
- Strong analytical thinking and problem solving skills
- Ability to work independently under minimal supervision
Qualifications & Experience (preferred):
- Spanish language skills
Salary & Benefits:
- Compensation for this position starts at $17.00 per hour
- Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage options for you and eligible dependents
- Short Term Disability
- Life/AD&D and Long Term Disability policy voluntary coverage options
- 401 (k) Retirement plan with up to 2% employer match
- Generous vacation, leave, and holiday benefits
Planned Parenthood is an equal employment opportunity employer. We comply with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender and gender expression/identity, age, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, uniformed service member/veteran status, marital status, medical condition, pregnancy, sexual orientation, citizenship status, genetic information, as well as any other category protected by federal, state, or local. We are committed to building an inclusive workplace that values racial & social justice. We strongly encourage all persons to apply, including people of color and members of the LGBTQ community.