Advanced Practice Clinician (Full Time)
Care. No matter what:
PPLM has been a leader in promoting sexual health for more than 90 years. We believe that all people deserve the information and expert services to make informed, personal decisions that affect their health, their lives and their futures. We are the state’s leading provider of sexual and reproductive health services. We educate families and empower youth to make responsible choices that lead to healthier lives. We advocate for policies that improve sexual health.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion:
PPLM believes sexual health is essential to every person’s overall health, well-being and happiness. We recognize that geographical and systemic barriers entrenched in discrimination and stigma prevent people in Massachusetts from having equitable opportunity to choose their own path and access to sexual and reproductive health care. In order to address health equity in communities across Massachusetts in an authentic way, we must start with ourselves. We are taking focused steps to make progress in our own organization. We have embarked on a diversity, equity and inclusion journey that will lead us toward becoming an organization that better reflects our patients and embodies cultural humility. We are wholeheartedly committed to this work.
Works as an Advanced Practice Clinician (APC) in family planning and abortion services. Provides reproductive health services, including medical abortion, to patients in a high quality and efficient manner. Maintains skills and knowledge necessary to care for the preventive and reproductive health of patients. Provides patient care according to PPLM protocols and policies. Complies with all federal, state, and local regulatory agencies, including OSHA, CLIA, Title X, and the MA Department of Public Health. Acts as a role model and resource for health care assistants and RNs. Works collaboratively with all health center staff and managers to contribute to a positive work environment. Complies with all APC related follow-up and referral procedures as outlined in PPLM’s Follow-up Manual.
35 hours per week.
Compensation: $38-45 / per hour.
Start date: after April 15, 2020.
- Provides comprehensive family planning and reproductive health care to female bodied patients and basic family planning and reproductive health care to male bodied patients as authorized by PPFA.
- Reviews & interprets the medical, surgical, family, and social history of both male and female bodied reproductive health patients.
- Performs appropriate medical screening procedures/exams for both male and female bodied patients.
- Interprets laboratory data, orders additional laboratory testing when indicated, and ensures appropriate follow-up per PPFA’s Medical Standards and Guidelines and PPLM’s Follow-up Manual
- Provides medical referrals when indicated and ensures appropriate follow-up per PPFA’s Medical Standards and Guidelines and PPLM’s Follow-up Manual
- Provides preventive care including vaccination, and basic breast and cervical cancer screening/management per PPFA’s Medical Standards and Guidelines. Provides screening, prevention, and treatment for sexually transmitted infections for all patients.
- Provides medical assessment and management of genito-urinary conditions for female bodied patients.
- Prescribes hormonal contraceptive methods (oral, transdermal, intravaginal, and injection), provides/oversees hormonal contraceptive injections. Provides emergency contraception.
- Fits diaphragms and cervical caps.
- Provides the following services after the completion of approved training by the Medical Director: IUC insertions and removals, implant insertions and removals, evaluation and management of early pregnancy complications, medication abortion, and medication and surgical abortion follow-up visits.
- May perform the following services depending on the needs of the health centers and the individual APC’s level of skill after the completion of approved training by the medical director: laminaria placement, ultrasound, colposcopy, LEEP, vulvar biopsy, and endometrial biopsy, colposcopy, LEEP, and gender-affirming hormone therapy.
- Provides patient education and counseling, as indicated.
- Knows emergency procedures as indicated in the Policy and Procedures Manual and in the absence of a physician, assumes responsibility for triage in the case of an emergency.
- Documents all medical findings, prescriptions, and treatment completely and legibly in patient’s chart.
- Reads, understands, and uses all relevant PPLM protocols, policies, and procedures. Keeps updated on all changes and incorporates those changes into practice.
- Consults as appropriate with the Medical Director or designee
- Maintains current licensure, including DEA and MA Controlled Substance License as well as advanced practice clinician license (NP, CNM, PA)
- Maintains current CPR certification
- Maintains insurance credentialing
- Other tasks and responsibilities as needed.
- Participates in PPLM’s efforts to achieve goals for productivity.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Must be able to lift up to 20lbs; have sufficient stamina to move efficiently throughout the clinic for 90% of scheduled shift to meet functional requirements of the position. Must be able to bend and reach to stock inventory and supplies for procedure/exam rooms and respond to patient care needs. Must have oral, auditory and visual ability to insure solid patient communication and ability to respond to a variety of situations efficiently and effectively.
- On call requirements are site specific with possible after hour calls
- Must be available during normal business hours.
- 5-8 years of experience preferred
- BA/BS required
- Registered nurse with current Massachusetts license and current certification as an adult or family nurse practitioner, certified nurse-midwife or physician assistant
- CPR certified
- Strong clinical knowledge in women’s health and reproductive care
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate information effectively
- Ability to relate to individuals of varying backgrounds and age in a non-judgmental yet empathetic manner
- Ability to work in a fast-pace environment
- Ability to function as part of a medical team
Planned Parenthood League of Massachusetts is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.