Medical Office Assistant
330 N. Howard Street, Baltimore, MD 21201
Clinical Services /
Planned Parenthood of Maryland (PPM) is a not-for-profit family planning agency that provides high-quality, affordable reproductive health care for women, men, and teens. Our mission is to enable all Marylanders to have access to a wide range of high-quality, affordable reproductive health care services. We help individuals make informed decisions about their reproductive health, family planning options, and sexuality.
Why Join us? As a Medical Office Assistant with PPM, you will be a part of supporting a passionate team that plays a vital role in the lives of others! And joining PPM, means joining a culturally diverse team that includes some of the best nurses, doctors, and clinic managers – if you want your Medical Office Assistant career to be a part of a passionate and diverse group - we are looking for you!
The Medical Office Assistant provides administrative and clerical support to the clinic. Facilitates communication, correspondence and contributes to patient care. Ensures the smooth flow of patients through the clinic for patient appointments. Offers friendly, courteous assistance to every customer to ensure they have a positive and professional experience.
Overview of what you as a Medical Office Assistant will do:
- Make health center appointments, including appropriate financial and insurance eligibility.
- Assist patients with verbal registration including appropriate financial and insurance eligibility screening.
- Correctly enters patient information into the Electronic Practice Management system and Electronic Health Record system.
- Protects Patients’ Rights by adhering to all HIPAA requirements including maintaining confidentiality of medical, personal, and financial information.
- Perform daily periodic quality assurance activities.
- Demonstrates PPM customer service standards.
- Social perceptiveness and service oriented.
- Provides patients with opportunity to provide feedback through patient surveys and reviews.
- Greets clients politely and promptly and provides correct information for registration and check-out.
Health Center Operations:
- Off community referrals and resources to patients.
- Prepares for next day appointments (confirmation calls, insurance verification).
- Proficiency in MS Office and patient management software.
Works With Others:
- Medical Office Assistants have contact with employees, patients, and outside agencies, furnishing and obtaining information. Requires a cooperative and courteous attitude, as well as excellent phone and communication skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- High school diploma or GED with six months experience working in a health care center; OR one year of experiencing working in a health care setting performing front office medical assistant duties; OR two years of customer service experience.
- Bilingual Spanish/English – a plus!
- Ability to read, write, and speak English fluently.
Benefits Overview and more:
- Health care insurance through CareFirst with the choice of an HMO/ Open Access and Healthy Blue Advantage. Eligibility is the first of the month, following your day of employment.
- Flexible Spending Account: Health Care and Dependent Care. Eligibility is the first of the month, following your day of employment.
- Guardian Dental and EyeMed Vision Insurances. Eligibility is the first of the month, following your first date of employment.
- Life, AD&D Insurance: One time your basic annual earnings. This benefit is paid for by the Company.
- Short-Term Disability: 60% of your weekly earnings up to a maximum benefit. Details explained at job offer. Benefits begin on the 8th day and are payable for 25 weeks. This benefit is paid for by the Company.
- Long-Term Disability: 60% of your monthly base wages for prolonged illness or injury. With a maximum monthly benefit. Details explained at job offer. This benefit is paid for by the Company.
- PTO Accrued 1st year: 18 Days.
- Employee Assistance Program. This benefit is paid for by the Company.
- Tax-Free Transportation Plan.
- Other Supplemental Insurance Programs you can purchase.
- 12 paid Holidays (Eligibility is the first of the month, following your first day employment).
- 401(k) Retirement Plan: Eligibility to participate is the First of the Month following your first day of Employment. After one year PPM will match 100% of employee contributions up to the first 3% and 50% of the next 2%. Fidelity Investment is our 401k provide and they will mail an enrollment packet to your home address.
$17 - $19 an hour
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Planned Parenthood of Maryland is an Equal Opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin (ancestry), disability, genetic information, pregnancy, military status, or any other protected characteristics outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves or absence, compensation, and training.
Applicants must pass Criminal Background Screening and the Right to Work in the United States.
PPM Requires COVID-19 Vaccination as part of Employment.
Planned Parenthood of Maryland Participates with E-Verify.