Registered Nurse - Ann Arbor
Ann Arbor Main /
POSITION TITLE: Registered Nurse
REPORTS TO: Director of Nursing and Patient Care
PAY RATE: $38 per hour
SCHEDULE: You have the flexibility to choose between full time (37.5 Hours weekly) OR part time (22.5 hours weekly)
CLINIC HOURS: 8a to 4p on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday & Friday + 9a to 5p on Tuesday
BENEFITS: Medical, Dental, Vision, STD, LTD. Life & ADD, 403B, Flexible Spending Account, Generous Paid Time off Program and Free healthcare at our clinics for you and your immediate family!
Planned Parenthood of Michigan has implemented a mandatory vaccination policy requiring COVID-19 vaccinations including boosters when eligible for all employees.
Under general supervision, uses advanced skills gained through training and experience to provide follow-up care to patients. Follows set medical standards and adheres to Planned Parenthood of Michigan (PPMI) established protocol to interpret laboratory results and prescribe treatment for sexually transmitted infections. Incumbent provides a high standard of pre-operative, intra-operative, and post-operative care and support to procedure patients in support of the “Care, No Matter What” mission. Routine contact with patients, physicians and clinicians, labs, and other medical providers is required in order to meet objectives. This staff person will fully embody a commitment to race equity; evidenced in all interactions with PPMI colleagues and external stakeholders.
· Interpret laboratory results for all health centers and dispense treatment for STI’s and other conditions as appropriate utilizing set medical standards and adhering to PPMI protocol.
· Effectively and accurately communicate test results, referrals and treatment plans to patients.
· Provide non-judgmental counseling to patients by offering information and or referrals on reproductive and sexual health issues and ensure all patient questions are answered.
· Perform pre-operative assessment. Review medical history and physical assessment to ensure patient appropriateness for planned pain management.
· Perform routine nursing interventions/procedures: monitoring vital signs and oxygen saturation, administering narcotics, giving injections, starting IV’s, drawing blood, providing patient education and support.
· Administer IV sedation under the orders and supervision of a physician.
· Assess patients for readiness for discharge.
· Monitoring and maintenance of narcotic and high risk-prescription only medications used throughout the shift using start and end of shift counts, accounting for wasted medication and keeping an accurate controlled substance log.
· Initiate and maintain care continuity procedures within the prescribed timelines and using appropriate electronic patient databases.
· Set-up, break-down and stock the recovery room.
· Oversee care provided by HCA’s and other non-licensed staff working in the recovery room.
· Complete accurate and timely medical record documentation.
· Review medical record for completion and adherence to PPMI protocol.
· Maintain an organized tracking system of all on-going patient activity.
· Serve as a resource to PPMI staff regarding follow-up, sedation and procedure information.
· Establish and maintain positive, professional relationships with county and state health departments, partnering organizations, outside laboratories and others as needed.
· Complete supply orders and monitor stock levels to ensure adequate supplies.
· Maintain professional competence, licensing and CPR training. Obtain yearly CEU’s related to providing conscious sedation.
· Adhere to and maintain currency on procedures and requirements delineated in the PPMI medical protocol manual.
· Understand and participate in the referral/follow-up system.
· Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
The above duties and responsibilities are not an exhaustive list of required responsibilities, duties and skills. Other duties may be added, and this job description can be amended at any time.
Qualifications and Experience
· Minimum Degree Required:
· Required Disciplines:
· Licensed to practice as a registered nurse in the State of Michigan.
· At least 2 years’ experience in family planning or OB/Gyn services and conscious sedation. Any equivalent combination of experience, education, and/or training approved by Human Resources.
· Skill in operating standard office equipment and using required software applications, including electronic medical records, word processing and database management programs.
· Knowledge of advanced concepts, practices and procedures used in nursing interventions/procedures.
· Knowledge of advanced concepts, practices and procedures used in conscious sedation.
· Demonstrated ability to achieve objectives in collaboration with other functional areas.
· Demonstrated commitment to Planned Parenthood’s mission, vision and values.
o Administer CPR if needed.
o Administer IV sedation under the orders and supervision of a physician.
o Move a semi-conscious adult from a wheelchair to a bed.
o Gather information, identify linkages and trends, and apply findings in order to interpret laboratory results and prescribe treatment.
o Read and comprehend patient’s level of understanding of information being provided and make appropriate adjustments to method of delivery if needed.
o Deliver test results and educational materials in a objective, medically factual, empathetic and compassionate manner.
o Work under pressure on multiple projects concurrently and meet deadlines in a fast-paced work environment with frequent interruptions and changing priorities.
o Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
o Provide a high level of customer service and handle stressful situations in a calm and professional manner.
o Establish and maintain effective working relationships at all levels of the organization.
· Commitment to advancing race(+) equity in one's work: interest in expanding knowledge about the role that racial inequity plays in our society.
· Awareness of multiple group identities and their dynamics; bring a high level of self-awareness about personal identity, empathy, and humility to interpersonal interactions.
· Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and directly as well as hear and act on feedback related to identity and equity.
· Strong sense of accountability to diversity, equity and inclusion principles and practices.
· Understand of the impact of identity dynamics on organizational culture.
· Commitment to Planned Parenthood's In This Together service ethos, workplace values, and service standards.
We value a truly diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity and belonging. Our goal is to attract qualified candidates and encourage applications from all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.