Strategic Communications Manager
Administrative Support Staff /
POSITION TITLE: Strategic Communications Manager
STATUS: Full Time, Exempt – 37.5 hours per week
HOURS: 9a to 5p Monday through Friday
ANNUAL SALARY: $60,000 per year
BENEFITS: Medical, Dental, Vision, STD, LTD. Life & ADD, 403B, Flexible Spending Account, Generous Paid Time off Program and Free healthcare at our clinics for you and your immediate family!
Planned Parenthood of Michigan has implemented a mandatory vaccination policy requiring COVID-19 vaccinations including boosters when eligible for all employees.
Reporting to the Director of Communications & Marketing, the Strategic Communications Manager supports the Director in the development and execution of PPMI’s comprehensive strategic communications strategy, including the development of narrative and messaging interventions, digital strategy, internal communications, and media relations. This staff member will serve as the team lead on internal communications. This staff person will fully embody a commitment to race equity; evidenced in all interactions with PPMI colleagues and external stakeholders.
· Serves as a key content strategist on the Communications Team. Will play a central role in contributing to and executing the Director’s overarching content strategy across platforms.
· Designs and implements strategies to increase patient recruitment, promote PPMI services and amplify advocacy work using organic social media, digital & traditional communications.
· Drafts talking points, press releases, media advisories, email alerts, and other written communications materials.
· Serve as spokesperson for organization in the Director’s absence.
· Establish a “speakers bureau” of experts, advocates and academics who will speak at rallies, press conferences, and committee hearings in support of PPMI & PPAM.
· Builds and maintains relationships with stakeholders across departments, serving as credible source of information, reliable partner in work, and consultant on projects being led by other departments.
· Leads internal communications efforts including a weekly employee newsletter.
· Plans, manages, and helps to execute PPMI + PPAM social media strategy, including Facebook, Twitter, TikTok and Instagram accounts, creating content and graphics as needed. This includes mentoring the Communications and Media Specialist.
· Works collaboratively with all members of the communications team to develop communications plans and tactics for a range of audiences and communication channels.
· Conveys the work of the organization to both internal and external audiences, utilizing existing products and other channels to reach various audiences in compelling and thoughtful ways.
· Supports Director in providing strategic internal and external communications counsel and tactical assistance to executive leaders.
· Develops strategic communications plans and strategies (goals, objectives, tactics, budget, timelines) for internal and external communications projects, programs and campaigns; implements plans and evaluates results.
· Develops measures of success and regularly monitors and reports on metrics.
· Maintains currency in political issues impacting the mission of the organization and coordinates online communications for internal and external stakeholders about the impact of public policy on our issues and how supporters can engage with elected officials on those issues.
· Partners with PPAM field team and engages supporters, including managing organizational websites, social media, and email programs.
· Manages the online education, engagement, and mobilization of Planned Parenthood activists around legislative and electoral organizing campaigns in Michigan.
· Serves as a liaison to PPFA and other partner organizations as it relates to the purview of this position. Maintains relationships with vendors as it relates to the purview of this position.
The above duties and responsibilities are not an exhaustive list of required responsibilities, duties, and skills. Other duties may be added, and this job description can be amended at any time.
Qualifications and Experience
· Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience
· Demonstrated ability to achieve objectives in collaboration with other functional areas
· Demonstrated commitment to Planned Parenthood’s mission, vision and values
· Strong professional writing skills
o Work under pressure on multiple projects concurrently and meet deadlines in a fast-paced work environment with frequent interruptions and changing priorities.
o Facilitate meetings, ensuring that all viewpoints, ideas and problems are addressed.
o Be an engaged listener with the ability to build consensus.
o Gather information, identify links and trends and apply findings to assignments.
o Inspire enthusiasm and influence, motivate and persuade others to achieve desired outcomes.
o Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
o Work independently as well as collaboratively within a team environment.
o Lead and work in a remote environment.
o Handle stressful situations and provide a high level of customer service in a calm and professional manner.
o Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
o Solve problems, analyze information and data, and manage projects.
o Exercise a high degree of judgment and diplomacy and maintain confidentiality.
· Spanish Proficiency
· Graphic design experience
· Willingness to use and learn skills in project management systems including Asana
· Commitment to advancing race (+) equity in one's work: interest in expanding knowledge about the role that racial inequity plays in our society.
· Awareness of multiple group identities and their dynamics; bring a high level of self-awareness about personal identity, empathy, and humility to interpersonal interactions.
· Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and directly as well as hear and act on feedback related to identity and equity.
· Strong sense of accountability to diversity, equity and inclusion principles and practices.
· Understand of the impact of identity dynamics on organizational culture.
· Commitment to Planned Parenthood's In This Together service ethos, workplace values, and service standards.
We value a truly diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity and belonging. Our goal is to attract qualified candidates and encourage applications from all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.