Ann Arbor Main /
Under general supervision, uses advanced skills gained through training and experience to provide follow-up care to patients. Follows set medical standards and adheres to Planned Parenthood of Michigan (PPMI) established protocol to interpret laboratory results and prescribe treatment for sexually transmitted infections. Incumbent provides a high standard of pre-operative, intra-operative, and post-operative care and support to procedure patients in support of the “Care, No Matter What” mission. Routine contact with patients, physicians and clinicians, labs, and other medical providers is required in order to meet objectives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Interpret laboratory results for all health centers and dispense treatment for STI’s and other conditions as appropriate utilizing set medical standards and adhering to PPMI protocol.
- Effectively and accurately communicate test results, referrals and treatment plans to patients.
- Provide non-judgmental counseling to patients by offering information and or referrals on reproductive and sexual health issues and ensure all patient questions are answered.
- Perform pre-operative assessment. Review medical history and physical assessment to ensure patient appropriateness for planned pain management.
- Perform routine nursing interventions/procedures: monitoring vital signs and oxygen saturation, administering narcotics, giving injections, starting IV’s, drawing blood, providing patient education and support.
- Administer IV sedation under the orders and supervision of a physician.
- Assess patients for readiness for discharge.
- Monitoring and maintenance of narcotic and high risk-prescription only medications used throughout the shift using start and end of shift counts, accounting for wasted medication and keeping an accurate controlled substance log.
- Initiate and maintain care continuity procedures within the prescribed timelines and using appropriate electronic patient databases.
- Set-up, break-down and stock the recovery room.
- Oversee care provided by HCA’s and other non-licensed staff working in the recovery room.
- Complete accurate and timely medical record documentation.
- Review medical record for completion and adherence to PPMI protocol.
- Maintain an organized tracking system of all on-going patient activity.
- Serve as a resource to PPMI staff regarding follow-up, sedation and procedure information.
- Establish and maintain positive, professional relationships with county and state health departments, partnering organizations, outside laboratories and others as needed.
- Complete supply orders and monitor stock levels to ensure adequate supplies.
- Maintain professional competence, licensing and CPR training. Obtain yearly CEU’s related to providing conscious sedation.
- Adhere to and maintain currency on procedures and requirements delineated in the PPMI medical protocol manual.
- Understand and participate in the referral/follow-up system.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Educational/Previous Experience Requirements:
- Minimum Degree Required: Associates Degree
- Required Disciplines: Nursing
- At least 2 years experience in family planning or OB/Gyn services and conscious sedation. Any equivalent combination of experience, education, and/or training approved by Human Resources.
- Licenses/Certifications Required at Date of Hire: Licensed to practice as a registered nurse in the State of Michigan
Planned Parenthood of Michigan is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workplace.