Director of Government Relations
Full Time /
TITLE: Director of Government Relations
LOCATION: Hybrid in Lansing, MI
REPORTS TO: Chief Advocacy Officer
STARTING SALARY RANGE: $77,000
Planned Parenthood of Michigan has implemented a mandatory vaccination policy requiring COVID-19 vaccinations including boosters when eligible for all employees.
Reporting to the Chief Advocacy Officer, the Government Relations Director will be a key leader at Planned Parenthood Advocates of Michigan (PPAM), responsible for utilizing expertise in politics, government relations, legislative processes, and advocacy to strengthen and leverage the organization's political influence to pass a comprehensive policy agenda. This leader will fully embody a commitment to race equity, evidenced in all interactions with colleagues, external stakeholders, and staff supervision.
Does this sound like you?
- Strong understanding of reproductive health issues, advocacy, and the Michigan political landscape/political processes.
- Ability to convey ideas and opinions clearly to others; consider the needs of an audience and predict possible responses; talk to people in a way they can understand; listen attentively; and communicate effectively.
- Ability to attend to detail while maintaining a view of the bigger picture; gather information, identify connections and trends and apply findings to assignments; and interpret and apply policies and identify and recommend changes as appropriate.
- A strong commitment to Planned Parenthood’s mission, vision and value
- Commitment to advancing race(+) equity in one's work: interested in expanding knowledge about the role that racial inequity plays in our society.
If you love the idea of making an impact on your community with a strong mission-oriented organization, we want to hear from you! You will be an integral part of our culture which fosters a commitment to our workplace values: respect, caring, support, teamwork, collaboration, accountability and responsibility.
➡ Bachelor’s degree in Public Policy, Political Science, a relevant field or equivalent years of experience
➡ Minimum of 5 years of experience in the areas of political fundraising and campaign/political relations
➡ Minimum of 2 years of supervisory experience
Medical, Dental, Vision, STD/LTD/ Life and ADD, FSA, Generous PTO program and free healthcare at PPMI clinics for you and your immediate family!
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Actively participates in director level leadership meetings. Coordinates work with the Chief Advocacy Officer, Vice President of Operations, Communications Director, and Director of Political and Field.
· Demonstrates a commitment to race equity. Maintains current knowledge of PPMI’s work toward enhanced race equity standards, is held accountable to them and holds their team members accountable.
· Directs the work of the Government Relations Coordinator, providing clear goals and routine feedback.
· Continuously maintains professional growth and learning by attending conferences, seminars, etc.
· Directs lobbying efforts for issues before the legislature, state agencies, and the Governor’s office in collaboration with the Chief Advocacy Officer and a contract lobbying firm.
· Develops and advances a comprehensive policy agenda that expands access to sexual and reproductive health care and education, addresses the social determinants of health, and ensures that all Michiganders can raise healthy, thriving families if and when they decide to.
· Identifies, tracks, and analyzes policies and political trends that may impact Planned Parenthood providers and patients.
· Cultivate and maintain positive relationships with elected officials, state agencies, local governments, and other stakeholders with influence over policy, funding, and regulatory decisions that impact Planned Parenthood.
· Tracks legislators’ voting records and maintains a database of background information; compiles information for legislators or supporters for committee hearings.
· Collaborates with the communications team to produce a legislative newsletter, policy explainers, talking points, committee testimony, and other materials.
Elections, Endorsements & Campaign Finance
· Coordinates PPAM’s endorsement process including developing a candidate questionnaire, soliciting applications, evaluating responses, making recommendations to the Chief Advocacy Officer, coordinating with the PPAM board, and communicating with candidates.
· Co-develops coordinated campaign strategies supporting endorsed candidates with the Director of Political and Field and the Chief Advocacy Officer.
· As directed by the Chief Advocacy Officer, leads the coordination of PAC contributions to endorsed candidates.
· Oversees PAC reporting process and ensures compliance with laws and regulations.
· Attends political fundraisers and events on behalf of Planned Parenthood.
This is not an exhaustive list of essential duties and responsibilities. Additional functions may be added, and this job description can be amended at any time.
We value a truly diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity and belonging. Our goal is to attract qualified candidates and encourage applications from all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.