Community Outreach Educator - Flint
Flint, MI /
Education-Community Outreach /
POSITION TITLE: Community Outreach Educator in Flint, MI
STATUS: Full Time, Exempt - 37.5 hours per week
ANNUAL SALARY: $45,000
BENEFITS: Medical, Dental, Vision, STD, LTD. Life & ADD, 403B, Flexible Spending Account, Generous Paid Time off Program and Free healthcare at our clinics for you and your immediate family!
Planned Parenthood of Michigan has implemented a mandatory vaccination policy requiring COVID-19 vaccinations including boosters when eligible for all employees.
Under limited supervision, uses intermediate skills obtained through experience and training to develop, implement and evaluate education and outreach programs within a specified service area. Provides reproductive and sexual health education programs to youth, parents, community groups, professionals and schools in support of Planned Parenthood of Michigan’s (PPMI) objective of providing medically-accurate sexuality education and health care services. This staff person will fully embody a commitment to race equity; evidenced in all interactions with PPMI colleagues and external stakeholders.
· Implement and facilitate various Youth Leadership and Peer Education Programs as applicable.
· Utilize facilitation and presentation best practices to plan and implement training, presentations, meetings and other events.
· Design and implement program evaluations as appropriate.
· Conduct community outreach to potential patients and agencies and participate in community events while working to increase awareness of PPMI services and supporting patient recruitment.
· Develop and maintain relationships with key community leaders and stakeholders.
· Monitors grant and program progress by tracking data and generating monthly reports. Provides regular reporting per grant funding requirements.
· Align program activities and work priorities with affiliate, grant and department goals.
· In conjunction with other departments, advance and promote PPMI programs and services.
· Represent PPMI at health fairs and other special events to a variety of constituents including donors, community officials, partner agencies and others.
· Build professional networks by serving on agency and community coalitions as a representative of PPMI.
· In coordination with the Education Department and communications team, aid in developing, distributing and/or promoting marketing and social media materials.
· Maintain current and accurate records and documentation of all activities.
· Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
· Skill in operating standard office equipment and using required software applications, including Microsoft Office.
· Knowledge of intermediate to advanced concepts, practices and procedures used in human sexuality, reproductive health issues and family planning education.
· Knowledge of intermediate to advanced concepts, practices and procedures used in the design and facilitation of content targeted toward adolescent and adult learners.
The above duties and responsibilities are not an exhaustive list of required responsibilities, duties and skills. Other duties may be added, and this job description can be amended at any time.
Qualifications and Experience
· Minimum Degree Preferred: Bachelor’s Degree
· Preferred Disciplines: Human Sexuality, Family Life Education, Gender Studies, Health and Human Services, Community Health Education, Sociology, or similar
· At least three years’ experience in education and/or health/sexuality education, youth development or related field. One to two years public speaking or group facilitation experience required. Any equivalent combination of experience, education, and/or training approved by Human Resources.
· Demonstrated ability to achieve objectives in collaboration with other functional areas
· Demonstrated commitment to Planned Parenthood’s mission, vision and values
o Partner with other functional areas to accomplish objectives.
o Facilitate meetings, ensuring that all viewpoints, ideas and problems are addressed.
o Design, develop and deliver program materials to diverse audiences.
o Experience in grant-writing/reporting is a plus.
o Attend to detail while maintaining a big picture orientation.
o Gather information; identify linkages and trends and apply findings to assignments.
o Incite enthusiasm and influence, motivate and persuade others to achieve desired outcomes.
o Organize and prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
o Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
o Work independently as well as collaboratively within a team environment.
o Handle stressful situations and provide a high level of customer service in a calm and professional manner.
o Establish and maintain effective working relationships at all levels of the organization.
· Certified Sexuality Educator, Certified Family Life Educator or Certified Health Education Specialist.
· Commitment to advancing race(+) equity in one's work: interest in expanding knowledge about the role that racial inequity plays in our society.
· Awareness of multiple group identities and their dynamics; bring a high level of self-awareness about personal identity, empathy, and humility to interpersonal interactions.
· Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and directly as well as hear and act on feedback related to identity and equity.
· Strong sense of accountability to diversity, equity and inclusion principles and practices.
· Understand of the impact of identity dynamics on organizational culture.
· Commitment to Planned Parenthood's In This Together service ethos, workplace values, and service standards.
We value a truly diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity and belonging. Our goal is to attract qualified candidates and encourage applications from all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.