Health Care Assistant - Full-Time 37.5 Hours Weekly -Livonia
Job Summary: Under direct supervision, uses basic knowledge and skills obtained through on-the-job training to provide patient centered medical services and education in support of the Planned Parenthood of Michigan (PPMI) “Care, no matter what…” mission.
Gathers patient information, identifies concerns, and provides information to other medical professionals in order to provide services and meet patient needs. Provides test results and information to patients in an objective, medically factual, and compassionate manner. Specific, detailed instructions and procedures are provided to perform routine, repetitive standardized tasks. Resolves routine questions and problems and refers more complex issues to a higher level.
Work Schedule (37.5 Hours Weekly)
Monday and Wednesday 8:30am - 5:00pm
Tuesday and Thursday 11:30am-8:00pm
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Greet patients and visitors in person or on the phone and schedule appointments as needed. Refer calls to other providers for services that are out of the PPMI scope.
- Assist patients with check in process and paperwork completion.
- Obtain patient insurance information which may include verifying insurance and obtaining health plan authorization.
- Assess patients’ financial resources including eligibility for available programs and insurances.
- In accordance with PPMI cash handling policy and procedures, collect all fees.
- Record financial and billing transactions in the practice management system.
- Perform basic diagnostic testing including finger poke, basic vital signs, urine pregnancy testing, urinalyses, and hemoglobin, rapid HIV test, and blood draws. Prepare lab specimens, requisitions and tracking logs for transport to laboratories for evaluation.
- Obtain patient vital signs including obtaining blood pressure, height, weight, hemoglobin, pulse, LMP, and patient needs assessment.
- Prepares patients for procedures as applicable. Assist clinician or Physician during exams or procedures.
- May participate in aftercare services
- Provide basic factual, unbiased, patient education and general information regarding various Planned Parenthood services including information on Birth Control Methods (BCM), Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs), all pregnancy options, and all other basic health care services within the scope of PPMI’s practice. Refer to outside resources as needed.
- In compliance with all applicable laws, PPMI policies and insurance guidelines dispense medication and supplies to patients.
- Maintain patient records and enter information into electronic medical record (EMR) systems.
- Participates actively and strives towards achieving productivity goals.
- Promote patient donations.
- Promote PPMI’s outreach.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Promote PPMI’s outreach projects and involve patients when possible
- Display initiative in maintaining an attractive and impeccably clean clinic environment, waiting room, lab, exam rooms, and reception area.
- Maintain lab equipment, instrument calibration, and lab logs
- High school diploma or GED required. Must possess excellent customer service, communication and organizational skills. Preferably one year of office experience in customer service with knowledge of medical terminology and procedures.
Planned Parenthood of Michigan is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workplace.