Medical Assistant - Grand Rapids - $17.25 per hour
Grand Rapids, MI /
POSITION TITLE: Medical Assistant I
STATUS: Full Time, Non Exempt – 37.5 hours per week
REPORTS TO: Senior Health Center Manager of Grand Rapids
HOURLY PAY RATE: $17.25
SCHEDULE: Monday thru Friday 9:00am to 5:00PM
BENEFITS: Medical, Dental, Vision, STD, LTD. Life & ADD, 403B, Flexible Spending Account, Generous Paid Time off Program and Free healthcare at our clinics for you and your immediate family!
Planned Parenthood of Michigan has implemented a mandatory vaccination policy requiring COVID-19 vaccinations including boosters when eligible for all employees.
Under direct supervision, uses basic knowledge and skills obtained through on-the-job training to provide patient centered medical services and education in support of the Planned Parenthood of Michigan (PPMI) mission.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
· Maintain patient records and enter information into electronic health record (EHR) systems.
· Participate actively and strives towards patient access and demand goals.
· Demonstrate commitment to living out and modeling PPMI’s In This Together Workplace Values and Service Standards.
· Integrate equity and inclusion best practices into all job functions and patient interactions.
· Promote productivity, patient donations, outreach and other identified business goals.
· Perform all duties in compliance with all applicable laws, PPMI policies and insurance guidelines.
· Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
· Is fully trained and signed off in EITHER the Front and Back duties outlined below for all of the services provided at their work location.
· Greet patients and visitors in person or on the phone and schedule appointments as needed. Refer calls to other providers for services that are out of the PPMI scope.
· Assist patients with check in process and paperwork completion.
· Obtain patient insurance information which may include verifying insurance and obtaining health plan authorization.
· Assess patients’ financial resources including eligibility for available programs and insurances.
· In accordance with PPMI cash handling policy and procedures, collect all fees.
· Record financial and billing transactions in the practice management system.
· Under the direction of a physician or clinician, dispense medication and supplies to patients.
· Perform basic diagnostic testing including finger poke, basic vital signs, urine pregnancy testing, urinalyses, and hemoglobin, rapid HIV test, and blood draws. Prepare lab specimens, requisitions and tracking logs for transport to laboratories for evaluation.
· Obtain patient vital signs including obtaining blood pressure, height, weight, hemoglobin, pulse, LMP, and patient needs assessment. Administer Injections.
· Prepares patients for procedures as applicable and discusses pain management options. Assist clinician or physician during exams or procedures.
· May participate in aftercare services.
· Provide basic factual, unbiased, patient education and general information regarding pregnancy management options (including abortions options, risks, and adoption resources), information and risks on Birth Control Methods (BCM), Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs), and all other basic health care services within the scope of PPMI’s practice. Screens for possible coercion. Refers to outside resources as needed.
This is not an exhaustive list of essential duties and responsibilities. Additional functions may be added, and this job description can be amended at any time.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Fundamental concepts, practices and procedures of medical terminology and medical record documentation.
· Fundamental concepts, practices and procedures related to CPT and ICD coding.
· Fundamental concepts, practices and procedures used in a medical office environment.
· Operating standard office equipment and using required software applications including Microsoft Office.
· Knowledge of medical records management systems a plus.
· Gather information, identify linkages and trends, and apply findings to prepare possible testing and medical supplies needed during examinations.
· Read and comprehend patient’s level of understanding of information being provided and make appropriate adjustments to method of delivery if needed.
· Deliver test results and educational materials in an objective, medically factual, empathetic and compassionate manner.
· Work under pressure on multiple projects concurrently and meet deadlines in a fast-paced work environment with frequent interruptions and changing priorities.
· Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
· Identify actions, behaviors, or responses that may indicate a patient is being coerced.
· Provide a high level of customer service and handle stressful situations in a calm and professional manner.
· Establish and maintain effective working relationships at all levels of the organization.
· Read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence and memos.
· Add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to computer rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Educational/Previous Experience Requirements:
•High School Diploma or GED Required
•At least 2 years’ experience working in a health care environment, preferable in a reproductive health setting. Any equivalent combination of experience, education, and/or training approved by Human Resources.
•Must possess excellent customer service, communication and organizational skills.
· Commitment to advancing race (+) equity in one's work: interested in expanding knowledge about the role that racial inequity plays in our society.
· Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate across differences, as well as hear and act on feedback related to identity and equity with an openness to learn.
· Commitment to Planned Parenthood's In This Together service ethos, workplace values, and service standards.
We value a truly diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity and belonging. Our goal is to attract qualified candidates and encourage applications from all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.