Clinician -Full time- Float -4 days Lansing & 1 Day Flint Health Care Center
Under limited supervision, uses specialized knowledge in gynecological/family planning medical diagnosis and treatment, along with skills obtained through experience and/or formal training to deliver high quality patient care in support of the “Care, No Matter What” mission. Assess patient’s needs, conducts appropriate exams, and responds to patient questions.
*This position will report 4 days at our Lansing Care Center & 1 day at our Flint Health Care Center*
- Provide gynecologic/family planning exams, including abortion follow up exams, and conduct appropriate testing.
- Assess patient’s contraceptive needs and prescribe/dispense medications and contraceptive devices as appropriate and allowed by license.
- Evaluate, plan and implement patient treatment plans. May including referring abnormal conditions to outside providers for care that is outside of PPMI’s scope of practice.
- Diagnose and treat sexually transmitted/gynecologic infections.
- Perform microscopy and interpret laboratory test results and order additional tests/procedures as necessary.
- Record, review, and interpret patient medical and social histories and symptoms.
- Request/review pertinent patient medical records.
- Provide After-Hours telephone triage for PP patients.
- Provide comprehensive education to patients including: contraception, reproductive health, pregnancy options, and abortion education.
- Respond to patient concerns in person and via phone.
- Regularly conduct chart audits.
- Counsel patients on healthy lifestyle including weight loss tips, nutrition and exercise, smoking cessation
- Act as a resource for ancillary staff.
- Maintains organization and governmental agency quality control standards.
- Provide in-service education to staff and acts as a clinic medical resource for staff
- May participate in affiliate research projects as directed.
- Remains current on PPFA protocols and requirements for medical care delivery
- Travels to other health centers within defined region on occasion.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of:
- Advanced concepts, procedures and practices of gynecological care, diagnosis and treatment.
- Appropriate medical record documentation and understanding of CPT and ICD-10 coding as part of the clinical revenue cycle.
- Advanced concepts, practices and procedures of medical terminology and medical record documentation.
- Advanced concepts, practices and procedures used in a medical office environment.
- Microscopy procedures, including urine sediment and vaginal wet mounts.
- Skill in:
- Operating standard office equipment and using required software applications including Microsoft Office.
- Knowledge of medical records management systems a plus.
- Ability to:
- Gather information, identify linkages and trends, and apply findings to diagnose and plan appropriate course of treatment.
- Read and comprehend patient’s level of understanding of information being provided and make appropriate adjustments to method of delivery if needed.
- Deliver test results and educational materials in an objective, medically factual, empathetic and compassionate manner.
- Work under pressure on multiple projects concurrently and meet deadlines in a fast-paced work environment with frequent interruptions and changing priorities.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Identify actions, behaviors, or responses that may indicate a patient is being coerced.
- Provide a high level of customer service and handle stressful situations in a calm and professional manner.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships at all levels of the organization.
- Read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence and memos.
- Minimum Degree Required:
- o Masters Degree
- Required Disciplines:
- o Physician’s Assistant, Nurse-Practitioner, Certified Nurse Midwife.
- Recent college graduate. Some experience in a clinical setting preferable in an OB/GYN setting preferred. Any equivalent combination of experience, education, and/or training approved by Human Resources.
- Licensed in the State of Michigan
Planned Parenthood of Michigan is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workplace.