Clinical Services – Medical
Full Time/37.5 hours
Planned Parenthood of Metropolitan Washington, DC has been providing high-quality, affordable healthcare to individuals in the Metropolitan Washington, D.C. area for 80 years. Our experienced and supportive medical staff gives each patient medically accurate and high-quality care.
Act as part of the medical services team providing reproductive health care according to PPMW protocol and operational process as directed by the Medical Director, Director of Patient Services, and Center Manager. Reports clinically to Medical Director and operationally to Center Manager.
- Secure a complete health history, including obstetric, gynecologic, contraceptive, medical, surgical, sexual, family health, and psychosocial; and record findings accurately and succinctly.
- Perform physical examinations with special emphasis on the reproductive system, including breast examination, pelvic examination, cancer screening tests, diagnosis of sexually transmitted infections (STIs), and other types of more specialized procedures as may be indicated by medical policy.
- After observation and approval, provide direct medical care to patients for core services; this may include family planning, surgical abortion, medication abortion and colposcopy service.
- Perform and interpret ultrasound for gestational dating and IUD localization.
- Provide all aspects of abortion care allowed by law and within PPMW Medical Standards and Guidelines and protocols.
- Serve as a telephone resource person for client or medical information calls.
- Participate in accomplishing customer-focused goals.
- Provide referrals and assure follow-up.
- Perform order and interpret diagnostic studies as indicated and permitted by affiliate medical protocols.
- Consult with Medical Director, Director of Patient Services, and/or Director of Risk and Quality Management as needed to ensure compliance with PPMW standards and guidelines.
- After observation and approval, and if qualified according to PPMW requirements for mid-level Colposcopist, may provide skilled colposcopy services for patients requiring such treatment for abnormal pap smears.
- Provide on-going specialized preceptor duties, such as training for residents, nurse practitioner and Registered Nurse students.
- Assist in emergencies as needed.
- Participate in after hours emergency call triage nursing per PPMW protocol.
- Participate in risk and quality management activities, including, but not limited to recording adverse reactions, occurrence reporting and maintenance of abortion complication data.
- Appropriately delegate nursing duties to RN, LPN/LVN and/or Health Care Assistant.
- Act as a resource to physicians regarding Planned Parenthood Policy.
- Provide relevant health instruction to include family planning, nutrition, sexual counseling, and principles of health promotion and maintenance.
- Work independently to maintain up-to-date knowledge in the health care field via attending seminars and workshops, and reading relevant material.
- Support and encourage a culture that:
- o Provides a rich conduit of information and ideas between sites and other PPMW departments.
- o Participates in ongoing feedback with colleagues.
- o Incorporates customer satisfaction into all aspects of the work.
- o Encourages team to take responsibility for evaluating and improving systems.
- Demonstrate flexibility and teamwork; understand the interaction between this position and others with whom the position works directly and indirectly.
- Ensure that interactions incorporate PPMW values of integrity, partnership, customer focus, communication and quality.
- Support effort of the PPMW’s diversity program to provide services that are culturally and linguistically competent; takes the initiative to develop own awareness and knowledge of diversity matters.
- Complete all responsibilities according to established protocols, policies and standard practices in the areas of customer service, quality assurance and regulatory compliance programs such as HIPAA (Health Information Portability & Accountability Act), OSHA (Occupational Safety & Health Act) and CLIA (Clinical Laboratory Improvement Administration) and Title X.
- Collaborate with the health team and other community agencies and resources (e.g., physicians, local health departments, social service, nutritionists, dentists, and parent education groups), through joint planning and coordination of activities, in providing comprehensive care.
- Participate in Risk Management and Quality Assurance program, medical committee meetings and other agency and center meetings as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience
- Current DC, MD and/or VA license as an NP, PA, or CNM. National certification preferred.
- Three to five years clinical experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities can be acquired.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and motivate teams.
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to manage ³ 3.5 patients per hour.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must have the ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusion. Ability to interpret a variety of technical instructions in various formats required. Ability to multi-task and to work effectively under pressure due to conflicting demands is required. Must be flexible, highly organized, creative and detail-oriented with the ability to set and meet deadlines.
- Requires excellent verbal and written communication skills, listening and interpersonal relationship communication skills. Must be able to communicate clearly and interact comfortably with a diverse group of clients, staff and volunteers in a non-judgmental, professional and sensitive manner
- Must possess the ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
- Excellent keyboarding skills with high level of accuracy required. Must possess capacity to learn software programs required for specific position and access electronic communications, including e-mail, extranet and intranet.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. All of the job functions listed within this job description involve to greater and lesser degrees the following physical demands: close vision; hearing/listening; clear speech; walking; lifting and carrying up to 10 pounds overhead and 40 pounds from the floor; stooping; kneeling; bending; sitting; standing up to 6 hours at a time; and use of hands to finger, handle, and feel. Must be able to assist a semi-conscious or unconscious youth/adult from a wheelchair to a bed.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The employee must possess a demonstrated ability to work in a diverse environment and build productive relationships. A demonstrated ability to effectively work independently and collaboratively as part of a team is essential.
- This position performs tasks that involve exposure to blood, fluids, or tissues as well as cleaning solvents and other chemicals.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- This position requires the ability to work in high stress, fast paced environment with potential emergency situations.
- Protestors may be present at work and related sites.
- This position requires the ability to work an irregular schedule which could include some weekends, early mornings and evenings.
- The position may require travel and as such employee must provide own reliable transportation for the performance of agency duties.
While this description is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current position, it is not necessarily exhaustive of all responsibilities, duties, efforts, requirements or expectations of this position. Management reserves the right to revise or amend this description to include or remove tasks as circumstances change and the needs of PPMW so dictate.
PPMW is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace
DIVERSE CANDIDATES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
Planned Parenthood of Metropolitan Washington, DC is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.