Director of Communications and Marketing
San Francisco Bay Area
Community & Government Relations – Public Policy - Advocacy
Planned Parenthood Northern California (PPNorCal) is actively searching for a Director of Communications and Marketing who will be response for policies and programs related to all phases of patient recruitment and social marketing, image protection and brand enhancement, public relations and media affairs for the organization, both internally and externally.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- As the Media strategist; develop and disseminate news/publicity concerning PPNorCal which promotes Planned Parenthood in a positive light and keeps the organization’s public profile in the forefront.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key media contacts within local, national and international media outlets.
- May serve as one of the organization’s spokespersons in television, radio, and newspaper media. Develop story concepts, pitch reporters, conduct research, write releases, stage press conferences, and track results.
- Plan and implement the organization’s marketing program, including budgeting, messaging, designing, and purchasing patient recruitment and social marketing initiatives. Utilize survey research and other tools to evaluate program efficacy and update strategy annually.
- Coordinate production of affiliate marketing materials to ensure consistent quality, image branding and graphic presentation.
- Represent affiliate at local, regional and national meetings and conferences relating to marketing, branding, media and communications, including being the liaison with Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) and Planned Parenthood Affiliates of California (PPAC) in these areas.
- Write speeches, articles, and columns for publication, press release, media advisories, letter-to-the-editor, and opinion editorials in both Spanish and English languages (if bilingual English/Spanish).
- Develop organizational messages and conduct message trainings with select staff, Board members, and other volunteers.
- Responsible for the development of the organization’s branding, internet, and web strategies.
- Conceive, draft, and supervise design and production for organization’s collateral including annual report, newsletters, brochures, etc. to promote a better understanding of Agency’s mission and goals.
- Coordinate content of all external and internal communication and marketing materials with respective departments to ensure consistency.
- Develop and present budget for Communications and Marketing Department. Ensure compliance with the budget throughout the year.
- Represent the organization at appropriate meetings, conferences, and symposia to raise visibility of PPNorCal in the community.
- Enhance PPNorCal’s visibility, image and influence in the areas of sexual and reproductive health care.
- Ensure all PPNorCal spokespeople are properly briefed prior to sessions with the media including preparing press conferences, media briefings and all materials and talking points.
- Dotted line reporting to VP of Community and Government Relations (CGR), VP of Development and Executive Office to ensure all external communications are consistent, on brand, and informed by local “intelligence”.
- With the CGR and Development teams, collaborate on development and activation of supporter communication networks, including storytellers and speaker bureaus.
- Working cross-departmentally, create strategy and lead response for crises communications and issues management.
- Ensure communications and advocacy campaigns are integrated across media, email, social, media and web properties.
- With the Public Affairs and Development teams, collaborate on development and activation of supporter communication networks, including storytellers and speaker bureaus.
OTHER SKILLS, ABILITIES, QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience. Five years of managerial experience preferably directing marketing or media relations programs in a health care services or nonprofit organization environment.
- Minimum 2-3 years experience writing/editing for publication preferred.
- Bilingual written and speaking proficiency in Spanish and English strongly preferred.
- Superior writing and editing skills and excellent public speaking skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) principles.
- Excellent relationship building skills.
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to prioritize multiple tasks.
- Willing to work flexible hours including some evenings and weekends.
- Willing to travel throughout affiliate 20 county service area, and occasionally to Sacramento, Washington, D.C., or as needed.
- Must have excellent customer service skills and be committed to providing the highest level of customer satisfaction.
- Knowledge of Affordable Care Act and commitment to quality healthcare.
Planned Parenthood Northern California generates healthier communities through the delivery of quality sexual and reproductive health care services.
We provide healthcare and education services to 136,000 adults and youth every year at 19 sites located throughout 20 Northern California counties. Planned Parenthood Northern California offers high-quality, affordable health care to all, regardless of income or insurance status. We care. No matter what!
Our experienced and caring medical staff gives each patient honest information and personal attention. We provide a full range of services including: birth control, breast exams, cancer screenings, medication and in-clinic abortion, pregnancy testing and counseling, prenatal care, PrEP and nPEP to prevent HIV infection, STD screening and treatment, vasectomy and infertility services, gender-affirming hormone therapy, and more.