Clinical Laboratory Scientist, San Jose
San Francisco Bay Area
Patient Services – Medical Results
Planned Parenthood Northern California (PPNorCal) is currently looking for a Per-Diem Clinical Laboratory Scientist to support at our Clinical Laboratory in San Jose, California . The Clinical Laboratory Scientist will function as part of the clinical laboratory team to provide high quality lab services, testing for sexually transmitted infections (specifically gonorrhea and chlamydia trachomatis testing) in our laboratory program.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform laboratory testing in compliance with PPFA and affiliate policies, Title X, Federal and state regulations (CLIA and OSHA). Perform necessary duties to fulfill all testing requirements, pre-analytical, analytical, and post-analytical phases in timely fashion.
- Perform Gonorrhea and Chlamydia tests by amplified probe. Other testing procedures may be added.
- Report results to Planned Parenthood Northern California Health Centers. Report positive results to Public Health Departments as indicated.
- Answer phones, look up results, take orders fro specimen tubes, answer clinic questions as capable and appropriate or refer questions to lab supervisor as needed.
- Assist in maintaining complete records for Quality Assurance, Quality Control, Proficiency Testing and other statistical data.
- Perform proficiency testing in compliance with CLIA regulations.
- Follow corrective action procedures and documentation policies according to the Quality Assurance Plan.
OTHER SKILLS, ABILITIES, QUALIFICATIONS
- Four years of recent experience as a Clinical Laboratory Scientist in a clinical laboratory setting preferred.
- Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university; one year training in an approved Clinical Laboratory Scientist intern program; and one to two years related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Interface effectively with medical professionals, staff and the community.
- Capable of identifying problems that may adversely affect test performance.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safely rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Self-motivated and capable of working independently.
- Strong organization skills.
- Flexibility in working hours.
Planned Parenthood Northern California generates healthier communities through the delivery of quality sexual and reproductive health care services.
We provide healthcare and education services to 136,000 adults and youth every year at 19 sites located throughout 20 Northern California counties. Planned Parenthood Northern California offers high-quality, affordable health care to all, regardless of income or insurance status. We care. No matter what!
Our experienced and caring medical staff gives each patient honest information and personal attention. We provide a full range of services including: birth control, breast exams, cancer screenings, medication and in-clinic abortion, pregnancy testing and counseling, prenatal care, PrEP and nPEP to prevent HIV infection, STD screening and treatment, vasectomy and infertility services, gender-affirming hormone therapy, and more.