Public Affairs Manager
Concord, CA /
Community & Government Relations – Public Affairs /
Planned Parenthood Northern California is seeking a full-time Public Affairs Manager.
The Public Affairs Manager will work closely with the Vice President of Community and Government Relations to direct the Planned Parenthood Northern California (PPNorCal) government and community relations program.
The Manager will work closely with the Vice President of Community and Government Relations in managing the political arm, Planned Parenthood Northern California Action Fund (PPNorCalAF), that elects pro-choice officials and promotes constituent education and advocacy.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- In collaboration with the VP of Community and Government Relations (CGR) provide leadership and direction for PPNorCal’s policy development and government relations. The Manager serves as a lead government relations liaison for local, state and federal elected officials and their staff in PPNorCal’s 20 counties.
- Provide leadership and recommend strategy around the PPNorCal AF political and electoral plan, including the endorsement process, including candidate questionnaires and interviews and the Voter Guide.
- As directed by VP of CGR, works closely with Planned Parenthood Affiliates of California (PPAC) and Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) on political and legislative strategy.
- The Manager supports PPNorCal’s local and state legislative issues as appropriate.
- Provide oversight of PPNorCal Public Affairs staff and coordinates all facets of grassroots activities around legislative or call-to-action efforts.
- Provide interface with community partners to broaden support for PPNorCal’s priorities.
- Provide electoral and legislative support via PPNorCalAF.
- Works with the VP of Community and Government Relations to assure the agency’s adherence to reporting requirements for agreements between PPNorCal and the PPNorCalAF.
- Works closely with the VP of Community and Government Relations to develop department annual budget, reporting and to meet income and expense goals for both PPNorcal and PPNorcalAF.
- Assists the VP of Community and Government Relations with media relations as needed, particularly on political issues.
- Supports the VP of Community and Government Relations with fundraising and special events planning.
- Collaborates with other PPNorCal departments, including Development and Medical Services, Case Management and Education, on projects where appropriate.
- Directly supervises Public Affairs Officers and Online Advocacy Specialist. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university; and one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
OTHER SKILLS, ABILITIES, QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum three years of relevant work experience in political strategy and legislative advocacy required.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Spreadsheet software, Word Processing software, Internet software, and be Web savvy; Basic knowledge of social media.
- Knowledge of reproductive health issues and policies strongly preferred.
- Commitment to quality healthcare.
- Proven political and government relations experience; ability to work with elected officials and engage community members.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and excellent leadership, organizational, decision-making and interpersonal skills.
- Good humor along with a willingness to deal with controversy.
- Ability to work effectively in a deadline-driven environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Understanding of campaign finance and non-profit law is desirable.
- Alignment with Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion principles.
- Supervisory experience required.
Planned Parenthood Northern California is an equal opportunity employer and works affirmatively to include diversity among its staff and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex/gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, income, marital status or any other irrelevant dimension of diversity. PPNorCal values collaboration between employees of diverse backgrounds and experiences.
Planned Parenthood Northern California generates healthier communities through the delivery of quality sexual and reproductive health care services.
We provide healthcare and education services to 137,000 adults and youth every year at 17 health centers located throughout 20 Northern California counties. Planned Parenthood Northern California offers high-quality, affordable health care to all, regardless of income, insurance or immigration status. We care. No matter what!
Our experienced and caring medical staff gives each patient honest information and personal attention. We provide a full range of services including birth control, breast exams, cancer screenings, medication and in-clinic abortion, pregnancy testing and counseling, prenatal care, PrEP and nPEP to prevent HIV infection, STD screening and treatment, vasectomy and infertility services, gender-affirming hormone therapy, and more.