Public Affairs Associate
Community & Government Relations – Public Policy - Advocacy
Planned Parenthood Northern California is seeking a part-time (28hrs) Public Affairs Associate.
This position will work closely with the Public Affairs Staff and Online Advocacy Specialist to support all Public Affairs Department and Planned Parenthood Northern California Action Fund functions, including but not limited to; administrative support, legislation and lobbying activities, electoral/political affairs, digital advocacy, volunteer supervision, data management and special events. The Associate will provide key support to the Planned Parenthood Northern California Action Fund and its State PAC to help manage its finances, reporting, and promote advocacy activities in targeted candidate and issue-based campaigns.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides general administrative support to Public Affairs Director, staff and interns, including data entry; Provides key support to Public Affairs staff for PPNorCal Action Fund electoral strategy, activity and operations including board compliance, finances, website and digital strategy, fundraising, social media support and electoral work including phone banking, ballot initiatives, candidate endorsements, direct contributions, field and independent expenditure campaigns.
- Coordinates PPNorCal Action Fund operations, including agreements and financial information exchanged between PPNorCal as a 501(c)3 and PPNorCal Action Fund as a 501(c)4 corporation; helps coordinate grant and resource sharing agreements, bylaws, financial statements, and tracking of staff time.
- Work with VP of Community and Government Relations, Public Affairs Director and Development Department on fundraising for general advocacy of PPNorCal and PPNorCal Action Fund; manage contributions and disbursements to PPNorCal Action Fund and its PAC; help with special events as needed.
- Works closely with the VP of Community and Government Relations, other Public Affairs staff, and campaign and tax attorneys to oversee financial and legal compliance of PPNorCal Action Fund, including reporting requirements with appropriate state and federal agencies.
- Provides support for Public Affairs with community partners to broaden support for PPNorCal’s priorities.
- May also assist the VP of Community and Government Relations or Director of Communications and Marketing with media relations as needed, particularly on political issues.
- Collaborates with other PPNorCal departments, including Finance/Accounting and Development, on projects where appropriate.
- Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization. Bilingual skills a plus, but not required.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point), Adobe Premier.
- Graphic design, html, and/or social media experience is a plus.
- Must be “Web savvy” with a solid understanding of current online tactics.
- Database management including Convio Common Ground, fundraising software and electronic voter file software experience preferred.
- Adobe Creative Suite (Audition/InDesign/Illustrator, Photoshop, Dreamweaver) preferred.
- Adobe Premiere experience a plus but not required.
Planned Parenthood Northern California generates healthier communities through the delivery of quality sexual and reproductive health care services.
We provide healthcare and education services to 136,000 adults and youth every year at 19 sites located throughout 20 Northern California counties. Planned Parenthood Northern California offers high-quality, affordable health care to all, regardless of income or insurance status. We care. No matter what!
Our experienced and caring medical staff gives each patient honest information and personal attention. We provide a full range of services including: birth control, breast exams, cancer screenings, medication and in-clinic abortion, pregnancy testing and counseling, prenatal care, PrEP and nPEP to prevent HIV infection, STD screening and treatment, vasectomy and infertility services, gender-affirming hormone therapy, and more.