Patient Communication and Follow Up Nurse
Quality Management – Quality Management
Planned Parenthood of the Rocky Mountains, which includes health centers in Colorado, Southern Nevada, New Mexico, and Wyoming has been helping individuals make responsible choices for over 100 years.
Since 1916, we have been committed to delivering the highest quality reproductive health care, teaching responsible and age-appropriate sexuality education and have been working diligently to protect a woman's right to choose.
Each year more than 100,000 women, men and teens visit our health centers throughout our four state region - Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, and Wyoming.
SUMMARY: Patient Communication and Follow-up Nurse will sign-off labs, create follow-up plans, and assist the Patient Communication and Follow-up Clinician in clinical follow-up duties. They will notify patients of abnormal test results and track the status of treatment plans and referrals according to PPFA Medical Standards and Guidelines, including navigation of breast and medical-follow-up. The Patient Communication and Follow-up Nurse will be the primary contact and navigator for routine abortion follow-up care and assist the Lead Clinician for Abortion Services with specific abortion follow-up care. This position is hourly, non-exempt.
- Must have an unencumbered RN license and be licensed, or have the ability to be licensed, in all states that PPRM operates in.
- Reliable transportation and valid driver’s license
- Must have excellent customer service, communication, typing and organizational skills Knowledge of PPRM’s Medical Standards and Guidelines preferred.
- Knowledge of reproductive health care required.
- Knowledge of abortion care preferred.
- Experience working with sensitive patient information required.
- Experience delivering sensitive information or results to patients required.
- Strong computer skills and ability to navigate all Microsoft Suite applications required.
- Experience with NextGen or other electronic health records system is preferred.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks at once and work in a fast paced environment.
- Spanish speaking preferred
- Adhere to procedures and requirements regarding the notification and follow-up of normal and abnormal lab results as outlined in PPRM Medical Standards and Guidelines.
- Learn and stay current on all relevant protocol requirements.
- Coordinate, log and sort incoming abnormal lab results and consult with clinician regarding plans as needed.
- Initiate telephone and written correspondence to patients regarding results and treatment plans.
- Effectively and accurately communicate abnormal laboratory results to patients and explain the treatment plan.
- Determines and documents appropriate plans of care for all incoming lab results, both normal and abnormal.
- Acts as support for routine abortion follow-up care and assists the Lead Clinician for Abortion Services in other abortion follow-up care.
- Make initial contacts for all quantitative Hcg results.
- Provide nonjudgmental counseling to patients by offering information and/or referrals on reproductive and sexual health issues.
- Demonstrates excellent customer service to both internal and external customers by working towards a positive outcome with any problems encountered.
- Document accurately, appropriately, and efficiently all telephone interactions with patients and complete, accurate and timely medical record chart note documentation.
- Demonstrate ongoing proficiency in Electronic Health Records (EHR) and Electronic Plan Management (EPM) systems.
- Create appropriate follow-up plans for laboratory results as defined by PPRM’s Medical Standards and Guidelines.
- Daily review of the Provider Approval Ques (PAQ) to includes accepting and signing off on normal and abnormal laboratory results as defined by PPRM’s Medical Standards and Guidelines.
- Assist with scheduling patient appointments as needed.
- Run NextGen reports and complete appropriate follow-up management.
- Send correspondence to patients via mail.
- Maintain average call time and volume as defined by program guidelines.
- Serve as a resource to PPRM staff regarding follow-up information.
- Assist QM Team with related quality assurance functions such as performing chart audits, reporting deficiencies and developing corrective action plans.
- Assists in answering patient questions received via the Patient Portal.
- In collaboration with the Patient Care Coordinator, Patient Communication and Follow-up Clinician, Patient Care Manager, and Lead Clinician for Abortion Services ensure that support staff is following all PPRM policies and procedures and the Medical Standards and Guidelines, to ensure timely and accurate follow-up notification.
- Completes all responsibilities according to established protocols, policies and standard practices in the areas of customer service, quality assurance and regulatory compliance programs such as HIPAA (Health Information Portability & Accountability Act), OSHA (Occupational Safety & Health Administration) and CLIA (Clinical Laboratory Improvement Act).
- Perform mandatory STI reporting to Colorado, Nevada, Wyoming and New Mexico State Departments of Health, when indicated
- Assist Quality Management team with creation and implementation of Electronic Medical Follow Up systems.
- Participates in abortion services (participation can include referrals, information, education, counseling, performing, scheduling, etc.)
- Participates in the on-call program.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Background Check Required
Planned Parenthood of the Rocky Mountains is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.