Engineering Manager (f/m/x)
Software Engineering – Software Engineering /
Full time or Part time
Engineering Managers at PPRO have the passion and abilities to build collaborative teams that deliver high-quality, scalable and performant products.
Think of yourself as the hands-on “mini-CTO” of a small startup within the supportive environment of PPRO, where you can succeed, fail and learn together as part of a team.
You will set direction, support your team's career growth, ensure they have an inspiring vision for the future and work alongside them in the code. In doing so, you can play a part to enable financial inclusion whilst promoting global eCommerce.
What you’ll do:
- Own and scope a problem space and develop your team’s vision, mission, goals and KPIs
- Develop and drive the technology strategy for your product
- Inspire, coach and mentor engineers’ growth and success, helping them to find and develop their strengths
- Collaborate with stakeholders and customers to identify the most significant opportunity areas for your product
- Set clear expectations and goals for your team and measure impact
- Lead by example and work close to the code, making informed decisions while you identify technical risks
- Facilitate technical discussions, help guide resolutions and navigate trade-offs
- Own operational excellence for your product, establishing metrics and processes for regular assessment and improvement
- Lead your team like a startup - succeed, fail and learn together
What we look for in you:
- Humble and inclusive leadership style
- Experience in developing, mentoring and growing a high performing collaborative and diverse team
- Results-orientation, collaborative, pragmatic, and with a continuous improvement mindset
- Desire to spend ~50% of your time close to the code
- Ability to analyse and articulate tradeoffs of technical problems to a broad audience
- Experience designing and building scalable products and services
- Experience working with one or more general-purpose programming languages including, but not limited to Java
- Experience with the cloud (preferably AWS, but Azure or GCP will also do)
- Ability to collaborate and communicate influencing decisions where you might not have direct authority and always with inclusive, adaptable, and persuasive data-backed communication
- Working proficiency in English
Some of the technologies you’ll get to work with:
- Java and Kotlin (latest versions)
- Modern frameworks (Spring Boot, Micronaut)
- Cloud-native systems (AWS, Kubernetes, Docker)
- Event-driven architectures (Kinesis)
What we offer you:
- People-first, caring and high-trust culture
- Ownership & impact
- “Remote but reachable” working - you can choose to be based primarily from home, the office, or a combination of both, and should be able to travel to one of our offices if needed. We come together as a team at least once per quarter “in-person”
- 30 days holiday per year
- Be yourself in our international and diverse community
- MacBook Pro specced to max and iPhone
- Gym membership
- Flexible work hours and the possibility to work part-time
- Italian coffee and fresh fruits in the office
- PPRO Social (company events, lunch'n'learn)
We’re PPRO (pronounced “p-pro”). We’re on a mission to make digital payments more effective and accessible in every corner of the planet. After all, most people around the world don’t use international credit cards. In fact, 77% of consumers prefer to use local and alternative payment methods, such as Alipay in China and Boleto Bancário in Brazil.
By helping businesses to offer their consumers more payment choices at the checkout, we are helping to promote financial inclusion in every corner of the globe. We are also empowering local merchants to take part in the global e-commerce boom and compete with established global companies. That means they can hire more people, invest in more suppliers, and ultimately drive economic growth in their country and beyond.
We are a diverse team of over 650 people and 65+ nationalities spread across 11 global locations. Everyone here shares a passion for building – whether that’s forging close relationships with our customers, or constructing a payments infrastructure to accelerate their growth.
We want everyone to make a difference at PPRO. This means owning and seizing opportunities to maximize your impact; having a growth mindset; as well as building trust, and driving change. At PPRO there are countless opportunities to learn, develop and progress, and it’s up to you to own and shape your career path.
Every voice and perspective matter to us. We value diversity and never discriminate on the basis of race, colour, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, or genetic information.
We are looking forward to meeting you!