Sr. Legal Counsel Mexico & Compliance Officer Latam
Mexico City /
Legal – Legal /
Permanent - full time
PPRO is growing rapidly and to support that growth we are looking for a candidate with law firm or in-house experience preferably in the payments, financial or technology sector and expertise in commercial, corporate and regulatory law. As part of the PPRO legal team, you will collaborate with internal stakeholders in particular the finance, sales and business development teams as well as executive management.
What will be your main mission?
You will support our growing payments business with a key focus on commercial, information technology, privacy, digital issues, and regulatory law matters in Mexico. Also you will be responsible for developing, implementing and managing the delivery of Anti-Money Laundering (AML) and Counter-Terrorist Financing (CTF) related processes at a regional level for PPRO, working closely with the local teams and Compliance and Risk at a global level to align, design and develop effective policies, procedures and training. The role also includes responsibility for MLRO in Mexico and Compliance duties in Latam (Argentina, Chile, Colombia, Mexico and Peru).
What will you be doing:
- Regarding Legal Matters:
- Reviewing a range of commercial and technology agreements including supplier contracts, business customer contracts and software contracts;
- Develop and maintain subject matter expertise in areas of data use and protection laws (including state and federal consumer protection and privacy laws in Mexico) and advise on the impact of the same on PPRO’s business;
- Work closely with product teams to guide privacy-forward product development and evaluate the impact of privacy laws, regulatory guidance and enforcement actions;
- Drive high-profile and high-impact projects involving privacy and regulatory analysis and compliance with cross-functional stakeholders across PPRO's business, policy, legal, communications, security, and other departments;
- Support members of PPRO on legal and regulatory matters, including areas related to partnerships, acquisitions, integrations, and other business development opportunities;
- Develop regulatory strategy with regulators in Mexico in connection with new product features and initiatives and maintain PPRO’s ongoing legal-by-design processes and coordinate with external lawyers projects and regulatory issues involving different jurisdictions;
- Help to develop and conduct general and role-specific trainings across PPRO’s different teams to implement standards and practices;
- Manage internal privacy compliance programs and processes to ensure we meet our obligations under those programs;
- Provide proactive advice to stakeholders with regards to new laws or regulations in Mexico that may impact PPRO’s business;
- Legal advice on responses to data incidents;
- Legal advice on tax and corporate matters.
- Regarding Compliance and AML Matters:
- Carrying out MLRO and compliance duties in Latam, including working with FIUs;
- Responsible for overseeing alignment of Latam’s AML and sanctions compliance processes with PPRO global policy and processes;
- Lead and manage the execution of PPRO’s AML/CTF and sanctions program for clients receiving services from PPRO Latam;
- Responsible for producing an annual AML risk assessment for PPRO Latam and ensuring any necessary remediation actions arising from it are completed;
- Develop a compliance-by-design culture.
You’ll need to have:
- Highly organized and structured approach for planning and execution purposes;
- Highly effective communicator, who builds relationships and influences stakeholders at all levels;
- At least 5 years experience in information technology, outsourcing and/or privacy and data protection experience in-house or at a large or specialized firm, including advisory (preparing privacy policies, reviewing social media terms, and the like), transactional (negotiating sourcing, shared services, or information technology agreements), contracts, corporate and/or crisis management (responding to a data security incident or a government or any competent authority inquiry);
- Experience with international privacy, online business and other digital legal issues;
- Experience in cross-border business, especially legal frameworks in Mexico and/or other jurisdictions within the Latam region;
- Experience leading a compliance function in Mexico;
- Full legal qualification obtained in any Latam Country;
- Excellent oral and written English and Spanish language skills;
- You are a focused, proactive self-starter who can operate in a diverse, open-minded and constantly evolving team environment;
- You are a hands-on, reliable team player, with good interpersonal skills and adapt to working in an international environment;
- Have excellent knowledge of e-money and payment institution business models;
- Have experience with the National Banking and Securities Commission, FIU and/or other national competent authorities;
- Are a solid team player who aligns internally at each opportunity;
- Being a member of SCCE or ACAMS is a plus;
- You are able to travel.
What’s in it for you:
- Excellent work-life balance;
- Exceptional team environment;
- State of the art working conditions and equipment;
- Health and Wellbeing programs, including gym allowance and mental wellbeing support;
- What’s more, you’ll be joining a truly international company where every idea is heard. Where you can drive change and make a real impact in your team and in the world of payments.
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match! We'll get in touch with you to let you know what the next steps are.
You must be eligible to live and work in the country of employment.
We’re PPRO (pronounced “p-pro”). We’re on a mission to make digital payments more effective and accessible in every corner of the planet. After all, most people around the world don’t use international credit cards. In fact, 77% of consumers prefer to use local and alternative payment methods, such as Alipay in China and Boleto Bancário in Brazil.
By helping businesses to offer their consumers more payment choices at the checkout, we are helping to promote financial inclusion in every corner of the globe. We are also empowering local merchants to take part in the global e-commerce boom and compete with established global companies. That means they can hire more people, invest in more suppliers, and ultimately drive economic growth in their country and beyond.
We are a diverse team of over 650 people and 65+ nationalities spread across 11 global locations. Everyone here shares a passion for building – whether that’s forging close relationships with our customers, or constructing a payments infrastructure to accelerate their growth.
We want everyone to make a difference at PPRO. This means owning and seizing opportunities to maximize your impact; having a growth mindset; as well as building trust, and driving change. At PPRO there are countless opportunities to learn, develop and progress, and it’s up to you to own and shape your career path.
Every voice and perspective matter to us. We value diversity and never discriminate on the basis of race, colour, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, or genetic information.
We are looking forward to meeting you!