Charleston, SC /
Public Policy & Field /
PPSAT prioritizes protecting our candidates, staff and patients and we are still HIRING. We are strong, supportive, and always thinking about the safest ways we can contribute to the community by providing jobs when people need them the most. Please know that our clinics are OPEN and our staff are providing patients with excellent care due to the use of Telehealth. We are also adhering to all of the recommendations by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in order to provide Care No Matter What.
PPSAT is seeking a highly motivated, responsible, outgoing, creative, pro-choice Field Organizer with political experience to manage the agency’s grassroots activities in Charleston, SC and surrounding communities. The Field Organizer will work closely with the Field Manager to conduct grassroots organizing activities that engage supporters and build capacity in a given geographic region. The Field Organizer will also provide key support to Planned Parenthood Votes! South Atlantic, particularly around volunteer activities in targeted political candidate and issue-based campaigns. The Field Organizer will be responsible for conducting voter education, contact and engagement activities, including voter registration, Get Out The Vote efforts, and helping to elect champions of sexual and reproductive healthcare. The ideal candidate for this position will be results-driven self-starter who is familiar with South Carolina and understands the major community players working on the ground.
This is a full-time position, generally working Monday-Friday but occasional night and weekend work will be required.
- Develop and mobilize a strong volunteer base and cultivate volunteer community leaders through direct community outreach, grassroots field work, voter contact, and leadership development programs.
- Recruit, train, support, and mobilize activists in targeted geographic areas on local, state and national reproductive health issues.
- Develop leadership in communities of color and incorporate Black organizing goals into overall organizing strategy. Develop leadership among young people and maintain allied student organizations at local colleges/universities, with an emphasis on HBCUs.
- Manage activist database and ensure accurate and timely input of program data.
- Build organizing capacity and grassroots partnerships to effectively advance state and federal policy initiatives. Work with coalition partners to leverage Planned Parenthood’s position as an organizing powerhouse.
- Support voter education and engagement, including training, candidate campaigns and phone banks.
- Manage all aspects of community outreach, including some materials development, volunteer recruitment, training and execution of all civic engagement activities.
- Manage Health Center Advocacy Program, engaging patients and community members as advocates for our mission.
- Recruit and supervise interns. Ensure that interns receive appropriate onboarding and required training.
- Responsible for digital organizing activities, including social media and Hustle.
- Perform administrative duties, including data entry and completion and submittal of paperwork.
- Participate in public speaking and media relations as appropriate.
- Contribute to a positive work environment by following through on tasks, taking initiative, working with the team and identifying solutions.
- Adhere to affiliate policies and procedures including meetings and training requirements, ensuring punctuality and attendance, and following personnel policies.
Education, Experience, and Minimum Requirements:
- One to two year’s paid or volunteer experience in at least one of the following: grassroots organizing, volunteer/leadership development, political/issue campaigns.
- Relevant experience working with diverse communities around issue, policy and/or electoral organizing, campaigns and initiatives and an extensive knowledge of diversity and inclusion preferred.
- Experience working with HBCUs and organizing in communities of color.
- Ability to contribute to the mission of Planned Parenthood, including reducing abortion stigma and impacting policy as well as public sentiment on reproductive health, rights and justice issues.
- Must be comfortable with basic computer tasks including email, calendar, and Microsoft Word.
- Proven problem-solving ability.
- Able to work well with diverse groups, demonstrated respect for diversity.
- Ability to explain policies in plain language.
- Experience delegating responsibility as part of a team.
- Must be able to prioritize.
- Good communication and strong organizational skills.
- Must have strong written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Starting salary within range of $16.75 - $20.75 per hour, dependent upon experience
Planned Parenthood South Atlantic is an equal opportunity employer.
A complete application includes a cover letter and resume.
No phone calls please.