Constituency Organizing Manager
Raleigh, NC / Charlotte, NC
Public Policy & Field /
Our doors are open, and we are still providing care. Planned Parenthood South Atlantic is committed to providing high-quality, inclusive, and non-judgmental sexual and reproductive healthcare to all genders, sexual orientations, races, religions, abilities, ethnicities, and cultural backgrounds. We are a team of compassionate and dedicated staff members, and we will continue to open our doors to those who need it.
Are you worried about applying because you feel you don’t meet every single requirement? At PPSAT we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace! If you’re excited about a position but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job posting, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be the candidate PPSAT is looking for!
The challenges we face, past and present, only strengthen PPSAT's commitment to our communities and employees. Our work has staying power. Come join us one of the nation's leading providers of sexual and reproductive healthcare.
Learn more: ppsatcareers.org
Why Planned Parenthood?
We are powerful educators, advocates, and innovators for health care. Be part of the diverse Planned Parenthood family. Work hand in hand with like-minded individuals in an environment built on collaboration, open communication, and mutual respect. We’re looking for passionate, dedicated people who are eager to make positive contributions to their community and our mission.
What's interesting about this job?
The Constituency Organizing Manager will be responsible for the development, management, and execution of PPSAT’s constituency organizing programs, including the Black Organizing Program, Raiz Program, Muslim Organizing Program, and Youth Organizing Program. They will create and implement a comprehensive field plan that is informed by the overall strategic political organizing plan of the Public Affairs department. This is an affiliate-wide role with a primary focus in North Carolina and a secondary focus on South Carolina.
They will focus heavily on electoral programming in North Carolina, overseeing a year-round constituency organizing field plan and the engagement and activation of BIPOC voters. This position requires a specialized skill set in constituency organizing, program management, and staff supervision.
Who You Are
- Skilled political organizer, with experience (paid and volunteer) in all of the following: grassroots organizing, volunteer/leadership development, and political/issue campaigns (2-4 years with bachelor's degree or 5 years in lieu of degree)
- Experienced with developing and implementing electoral, legislative, and other political campaign plans
- Experienced people manager/supervisor (1+ year)
- Experienced in working with communities/constituents of color around issue, policy, and/or electoral organizing campaigns
- Committed to integrating anti-racist principles to their work
- Skilled at engaging, collaborating, and building authentic relationships with BIPOC communities, demonstrating cultural competence and sensitivity
- Knowledgeable of the political landscape of North Carolina and South Carolina
- Strong interpersonal communicator, both verbal and written
- Fiercely pro-abortion! Passionate and knowledgeable about reproductive justice
- Strong communicator, both verbal and written
- Proficient in explaining complex public policies in clear, understandable language
- Strong teammate with independent work skills and delegation skills
- Proficient with VAN
- In partnership with the Deputy Director and the Advocacy Campaigns Director, develop and oversee the execution of constituency field programming as part of PPVSAT's direct voter contact program, specifically in North Carolina; lead efforts to engage and activate Black, Latinx, Muslim, and young voters
- Develop strategic plans for Black, Raiz, Muslim, and Youth Organizing Programs that engage and mobilize these constituencies’ communities across PPSAT’s service area, with a primary focus on North Carolina
- Hire, train, and manage the Black, Raiz, Muslim, and Youth Organizing Program staff to build a high-achieving team responsible for recruiting and managing supporters who will engage with PPSAT and PPVSAT to conduct robust community engagement and voter contact programs
- Cultivate relationships with key stakeholders, grasstops influencers, policymakers, coalition partners, and other leaders
- Oversee the development and mobilization of a strong volunteer base across constituency programs
- Support each program’s cultivation of volunteer community leaders through community outreach, grassroots field organizing, and leadership development programs
- Facilitate policy/organizing collaborations with the Director of Public Affairs, help connect constituents with elected officials, stay up-to-date on legislative strategy, and build relationships with legislators and other key validators where appropriate
- Identify relevant policy areas that align with constituency community needs; establish program goals to address these needs and manage the timely achievement of those goals
Additional (and equally important!) Responsibilities
- In partnership with the Director of Campaigns, provide support and training to Community Organizers and other Public Affairs staff as it relates to constituency organizing
- Oversee the implementation of civic engagement activities in programs’ communities and voter education on issues specifically impacting the sexual and reproductive health of Black, Latinx, Muslim, and young communities
- Oversee partnership between constituency program staff and communications staff as they implement digital organizing activities
- Act as a liaison to PPFA and other partner organizations
- Manage, track, and report on relevant grants
- Ensure accurate and timely input of data, and create reports on program activity
- Develop relevant trainings
$60,300 - $75,400 a year
Schedule & Location:
Monday - Friday, 40 hours/week
Requires regular night & weekend work
Hybrid Work Style; some in-office days required
Candidate must be based in Raleigh, NC or Charlotte, NC
Regular Travel (30%) required throughout North Carolina and South Carolina
What You Get:
All full-time (30+ hours) employees are benefits-eligible!
Including but not limited to:
Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
Health Reimbursement Account
403B Retirement Plan with matched contributions
Paid Time Off
Employee Assistance Program
PPSAT's compensation philosophy is based on equity and transparency. Each job at PPSAT is assigned to a salary grade built on market data. For an individual coming into PPSAT, we set a pay generally between the minimum and the midpoint of the salary grade, based on candidate qualifications. For this position, the minimum is $60,300 and the midpoint is $75,400, annually.
Learn more: https://www.ppsatcareers.org/pay-equity
A complete application includes a cover letter and resume.
This position requires a background check once a job offer is extended to the final candidate. PPSAT does not discriminate in employment and understands the many barriers candidates may face when applying to jobs. One of those barriers is the criminal justice system and its effects on background checks. We understand that these barriers more often negatively impact BIPOC. A conviction is not an absolute bar to employment. Factors such as the age of the offense, evidence of rehabilitation, the seriousness of violation, and job relatedness are considered in all employment decisions.
Planned Parenthood of South Atlantic Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Statement
At Planned Parenthood of South Atlantic (PPSAT), we embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion and strive to keep it at the core of who we are. We are committed to a diverse workforce that welcomes an array of perspectives, experiences, and backgrounds. We believe that diversity, equity and inclusion in teams, decision-making, policy, practice, and operations contributes to a sense of belonging that benefits our culture, our staff, our patients, and our community. At PPSAT, we are dedicated to learning, reducing and eliminating inequities, and developing best practices to dismantle systemic racism and the complex problems caused by it.
Planned Parenthood South Atlantic is an equal opportunity employer.
No phone calls please.