Health Care Assistant
Columbia, SC /
Patient Services /
Our doors are open, and we are still providing care. Planned Parenthood South Atlantic is committed to providing high quality, inclusive, and non-judgmental sexual and reproductive healthcare to all genders, sexual orientations, races, religions, abilities, ethnicities, and cultural backgrounds. We are a team of compassionate and dedicated staff members, and we will continue to open our doors to those who need it.
Are you worried about applying because you feel like you don’t meet every single requirement? At PPSAT we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace! If you’re excited about a position but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job posting, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be the candidate PPSAT is looking for!
The challenges we face, past and present, only strengthen PPSAT's commitment to our communities and employees. Our work has staying power. Come join us one of the nation's leading providers of sexual and reproductive healthcare.
Learn more: ppsatcareers.org
Why Planned Parenthood South Atlantic?
We are powerful educators, advocates and innovators for health care. Be part of the diverse Planned Parenthood family. Work hand in hand with like-minded individuals in an environment built on collaboration, open communication, and mutual respect. We’re looking for passionate, dedicated people who are eager to make positive contributions to their community and to our mission.
What's interesting about this job?
The Health Care Assistant (HCA) serves as the first impression of Planned Parenthood South Atlantic (PPSAT) by providing friendly and efficient services to clients arriving at the health center for services or information. The HCA is responsible for maintaining front office, back office, assisting providers with daily in-office procedures, blood draws, and provide patient education.
Who You Are
- Passionate about reproductive health care and justice
- Believe sexual health is essential to every person’s overall health, well-being, and happiness
- Excited about making patients the priority
- Firm believer in providing non-judgmental care to our transgender and gender-diverse patients
- Experience working across a diverse service area
What You'll Do (but not limited to)
- Maintains accurate and complete documentation including charts, logs, etc.
- Provide education via telephone or face-to-face in a non-judgmental manner to patients by providing support and information on reproductive and sexual health issues.
- Verify and interpret insurance coverage and benefits both electronically and over the phone.
- Assist clinician in making patient referrals and documenting appointments scheduled in patient chart.
- Provides telephone coverage for incoming calls, assists with requests for center appointments as applicable and other calls requesting information.
- Able to interpret and communicate clinic fee scale and pricing information, as well as patient insurance benefits, including copayments/coinsurance.
- Responsible for patient fee receipts, reconciliation of computer journal sheet with daily deposits and timely reporting of same to Finance Department.
- Ensures patients complete all necessary forms and obtains patient consents for services in an efficient and accurate manner.
- Follows Health Center procedures for the processing and provision of OTC and prescription medications and birth control supplies.
- Assists in assuring the Health Center remains in working order by maintaining an adequate stock of supplies.
- Participates in maintaining uniform patient record systems, e.g. computer data, EHR documentation, and/or patient filing system.
- Works as a team member to meet or exceed center productivity and customer satisfaction goals.
- Serve as laboratory testing personnel: collect and prepare laboratory specimens; maintain/check laboratory instruments; perform laboratory-related quality controls; order and result laboratory tests in the medical record; draw blood; dispose of contaminated supplies; perform and interpret in-house laboratory tests; participate in competency and proficiency requirements based on laboratory testing performed; demonstrate problem-solving skills.
This is a full-time opportunity, working 35-39 hours/week
Saturday: 7:30AM - 2PM * (once a month, Fridays are off when working on Saturday)
All staff are expected to remain at the health center until all patients are checked out, documentation is completed and the health center is cleaned.
What You Get:
All full-time (30+ hours) employees are benefits-eligible!
Including but not limited to:
Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
Health Reimbursement Account
403B Retirement Plan with matched contributions
Paid Time Off
Employee Assistance Program
All HCA's start at a non-negotiable $17.00 an hour, and are eligible for periodic pay-increases based on tenure and skill check-offs.
PPSAT's compensation philosophy is based in equity and transparency. The HCA Tier Program intends to maintain and promote internal equity, transparency, and skill growth.
A complete application includes a cover letter and resume.
This position requires a background check once a job offer is extended to the final candidate. PPSAT does not discriminate in employment and understands the many barriers candidates may face when applying to jobs. One of those barriers is the criminal justice system and its effects on background checks. We understand that these barriers more often negatively impact BIPOC. A conviction is not an absolute bar to employment. Factors such as the age of the offense, evidence of rehabilitation, the seriousness of violation, and job relatedness are considered in all employment decisions.
Planned Parenthood of South Atlantic Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Statement
At Planned Parenthood of South Atlantic (PPSAT), we embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion and strive to keep it at the core of who we are. We are committed to a diverse workforce that welcomes an array of perspectives, experiences, and backgrounds. We believe that diversity, equity and inclusion in teams, decision-making, policy, practice, and operations contributes to a sense of belonging that benefits our culture, our staff, our patients, and our community. At PPSAT, we are dedicated to learning, reducing and eliminating inequities, and developing best practices to dismantle systemic racism and the complex problems caused by it.
Planned Parenthood South Atlantic is an equal opportunity employer.
No phone calls please.