Community Health Educator
Charleston, SC /
PPSAT prioritizes protecting our candidates, staff and patients and we are still HIRING. We are strong, supportive, and always thinking about the safest ways we can contribute to the community by providing jobs when people need them the most. Please know that our clinics are OPEN and our staff are providing patients with excellent care due to the use of Telehealth. We are also adhering to all of the recommendations by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in order to provide Care No Matter What.
PPSAT is seeking a Community Health Educator that will be responsible for the Hilton Head and Charleston, SC areas. The Community Health Educator is responsible for planning, coordinating, and implementing community and health center based projects focused on maximizing the benefits of the Affordable Care Act for the uninsured; and engaging young people in sexual health and advocacy programs that provide the tools to help them make lifelong responsible decisions. They will provide additional outreach and training to the community around family planning and reproductive health issues as needed.
This is a full-time, benefits eligible position working 40 hours per week.
- Coordinate peer education programs, location and quantity dependent on community need and funding.
- Initiate and develop relationships with community organizations, schools, and faith communities to recruit Peer Educators. Interview, hire, and train Peer Educators.
- Design, develop, and provide culturally relevant education/training programs related to adolescent health and social issues for Peer Education Training.
- Provide support to Peer Educators. Maintain follow-up relationships with Peer Educators following Peer Education training.
- Plan and conduct weekly trainings.
- Translate and adapt curricula.
- Coordinate collection and submission of evaluation data.
- Serve as liaison between Planned Parenthood South Atlantic (PPSAT) and partner organizations. Promote PPSAT philosophy and services in the community.
- Provide community education and outreach as needed and directed by the Senior Director of Education.
- Attend PPSAT community coalition and council meetings as assigned.
- Manage and maintain the education department database.
- Pull together monthly and quarterly education reports and data as needed and requested.
- B.S./B.A. in related field. Minimum of 3 years’ related work experience will be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Two years’ proven experience running community-based education programs working with diverse populations.
- At least one year of experience working with youth.
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated interest in teenagers and youth development.
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse communities.
- Written and oral fluency in English. Spanish fluency may be required.
- Interest in reproductive and sexual health issues.
- Experience in coalition building.
- Previous experience engaging and collaborating with coalition partners preferred.
- Starting salary range is $16.75 to $20.75 commensurate with experience.
Planned Parenthood South Atlantic is an equal opportunity employer.
A complete application includes a cover letter and resume.
No phone calls please.