The Health Educator facilitates sexual health education activities for Planned Parenthood Southeast, works with community partners to build relationships and improve health, and attends outreach events to promote affiliate programs and services.
• Work with Director of Education to achieve communications, education and outreach goals
• Provide health education programs in the Birmingham area
• Coordinate a peer health education program for high school students, including recruitment, training, budgeting, and planning monthly meetings and events
• Cultivate relationships with community groups and affiliate partners
• Maintain data related to health education programs for regular reports to grantors and other stakeholders
• Assist with staff training as needed
• Work with Public Policy department on outreach, health fairs, and other community activities
• Represent PPSE at health fairs and community events
• Submit reports in a timely way
• Be forthcoming and truthful in responding to Alabama department of Public Health inquiries and requests for information
• Other duties as required
• B. A. Degree in Community Health, Sociology, Social Work, Psychology, Human Sexuality or related field
• Experience working with people of all ages
• Knowledgeable about issues of health, sexuality, education, diversity, sexual orientation and social justice
• Comfort discussing, teaching, and training on human sexuality
• Exceptional interpersonal skills
• Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, Access essential
• Ability to demonstrate public speaking and training skills
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Excellent writing skills and verbal communication skills required
• Ability to manage data and produce reports
• Attention to details and follow through on assigned projects essential
• Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation to travel within the community for programs
• Ability to lift 50 pounds to carry items to and from health fairs and community events.
• Flexibility in work hours as some evenings and occasional weekend hours are necessary
• English required, some Spanish speaking skills preferred
• Professional demeanor and appearance
• Ability to provide / support the provision of objective information to women about all the options available to them (abortion, adoption, or parenting) in the event of an unintended pregnancy
• Background screens will be performed and education will be verified prior to employment. Please be prepared to provide required information and/or documentation.
• Planned Parenthood Southeast is a smoke-free workplace, and smoking is prohibited in all enclosed areas on PPSE property.
• Planned Parenthood Southeast is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer.