Lab and Centralized Follow-up Assistant
345 Administrative Office
Planned Parenthood of Southern New England
Care. No Matter What.
We are Planned Parenthood of Southern New England, one of the region’s largest and most trusted providers of reproductive health care. We are recognized for the wide array of services we provide, the outstanding sexual health education we deliver, and our strong commitment to social justice. Working for Planned Parenthood is more than a job; it’s being a part of a powerful movement. Together, we’ll take pride in shaping the future of sexual health and reproductive rights for all people.
Position Summary: Planned Parenthood of Southern New England has an opening for a full time (37.5 hours per week) Lab and Centralized Follow-up Assistant (25 hours in the Lab 12.5 in Centralized Follow-up). The Lab Assistant supports the Lab Operations Manager/Medical Technologist in the operation of the testing laboratory in accordance with protocols. Utilizes lab information system to enter patient data, prepare specimens, and performs tests using automated or semi-automated equipment. Track usage of and order lab supplies, maintain and clean test equipment. In Centralized Follow-up, the Assistant is responsible for supporting the follow-up of abnormal labs and referrals in a manner that ensures high quality care to our patients. S/he provides follow-up services to patients in a manner that is consistent with clinical protocol and the organization's mission and values. Works as part of the CFU team to insure follow up is done in compliance to PPFA Medical Standards and Guidelines.
· Receives collected test specimens from different sites, and prepares them for processing in lab
· Adheres to infection control protocols, maintains a clean environment in the lab
· Adheres to quality control protocols, policies, procedures and quality assurance (normal range failures, delta checks)
· Communicate with State lab and health center staff to provide patient information, lab operating schedule, resolve specimen collection issues and other issues as necessary
· Demonstrate competency with the lab information system and with test equipment
· Assists the Lab Operations Medical Technologist in storing, tracking usage and ordering of lab supplies
· Demonstrates flexibility and teamwork; understands the interaction between this position and others with whom the position works directly and indirectly
· Completes all responsibilities according to established protocols, policies and standard practices in the areas of customer service, quality assurance and regulatory compliance programs such as HIPAA (Health Information Portability & Accountability Act), OSHA (Occupational Safety & Health Act) and CLIA (Clinical Laboratory Improvement Administration)
· Demonstrates ongoing proficiency in EPM and EHR. Demonstrates ability to navigate and comprehend patient chart notes, lab results, contact attempts, etc. Documents in EHR accurately, appropriately and efficiently all interactions with patients
· Monitors/manages clinical in-boxes in Athena to insure labs are followed up in a timely manner. Communicates with State lab/Quest/Orchard lab and health centers to investigate when results are not received. Reports and follows up with health centers when lab errors are made
· Participates in Centralized Follow-Up department efforts to achieve established productivity goals
· Provides all information/education to patients per protocol as indicated in a thorough and professional manner. Provides education to patients per protocol as indicated. Ensures that the information and education given to the patient is current, accurate and expertly communicated
· High School or Associates degree in medical technology or science or equivalent work experience preferred
· Experience in a health center (preferred)
· Minimum of 1 year experience is preferred; ASCP, CLS (NCA) accreditation is preferred
· Experience working with electronic health records (preferred)
· Bilingual fluency (Spanish/English) preferred but not required
· Excellent complex problem solving skills; excellent written and oral communication skills
· Excellent computational skills; must show competency using computer hardware, lab information system and automated test instrument; ability to operate all office equipment
· Ability to provide high quality customer service to meet the needs of internal and external customers
· Ability to prioritize and organize workload; ability to follow processes and procedures from beginning to end within established timelines
· Superb attention to detail; ability to handle discreet, confidential information
· Desire to work as part of an interdisciplinary team to meet the needs of health center customers
· Strong supporter of PPSNE mission and all of the reproductive health services offered
· Ability to routinely travel to PPSNE health centers
PPSNE is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We are committed to building an inclusive workplace that values diversity and inclusion and reflects the diversity of our communities and patients. We strongly encourage people of color and members of the LGBTQ community to apply.
PPSNE offers a comprehensive benefit package which includes; Health, dental and vision insurance, retirement savings, tuition reimbursement, generous paid time off, a flexible spending account, wellness programand more.
Please send a cover letter and a resume to:
Apply online: www.ppsne.org/jobs