Manager, Advocacy & Organizing
345 Administrative Office /
Public Policy and Advocacy /
Planned Parenthood of Southern New England
Care. No Matter What.
We are Planned Parenthood of Southern New England, one of the region’s largest and most trusted providers of reproductive health care. We are recognized for the wide array of services we provide, the outstanding sexual health education we deliver, and our strong commitment to social justice. Working for Planned Parenthood is more than a job; it’s being a part of a powerful movement. Together, we’ll take pride in shaping the future of sexual health and reproductive rights for all people.
The Manger, Advocacy & Organizing is responsible for growing our movement and supporter base and for increasing our engagement and ability to bring powerful, grassroots support and partnership to sexual and reproductive health, rights and justice actions, organizing campaigns, and policies across Connecticut and Rhode Island. The Manager creates a team committed to a permanent, ongoing community organizing program that builds leadership, power, and civic engagement while strengthening partnerships, with groups representing communities most impacted by systemic barriers to accessing sexual and reproductive health including the Black, Latinx, Youth, LGTBQ+ and immigrant communities. The Manager will lead the Organizing team and is responsible for the hiring and training of the Community Organizers who are responsible for building community power, supporting and expanding volunteer programs, and executing local, statewide, and national reproductive rights campaigns in Connecticut or Rhode Island. This position will also provide key support to Planned Parenthood Votes! CT/RI electoral programs and political activities during election time.
The ideal candidate for this position will be results-driven, self-starter, experienced people manager. The Manager is an excellent supervisor and coach, and has a strong commitment to leadership development and building collaborative and effective teams. They are familiar and have relationships with CT and/or RI and understand the major community players working on the ground. They have experience developing and executing successful organizing campaigns around progressive issues.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
● Develop, implement and evaluate issue organizing campaigns that recruit new supporters and develop them into a strong base of active volunteers and grassroots leaders, resulting in sexual and reproductive health policy victories at the state and local level.
● Provide coaching and management, develop individualized and detailed goals and work plans, and support for Community Organizers.
● Develop systems, tools, and structures that provide strong clarity, accountability, and organization for organizers and campaign implementation.
● Implement programs that increase the civic participation of residents in CT and RI who are engaged in sexual and reproductive health issues and other social justice issues and who are disproportionately impacted by health inequity or systemic barriers to reproductive health care and political underrepresentation.
Develop systems for information sharing and tracking including clear ways to consistently track and uplift wins
● Support and grow authentic and meaningful partnerships with other community-based organizations, leaders and other stakeholders focused on social justice issues that intersect with sexual and reproductive health and rights.
● Collaborate with digital/social media colleagues to build out PPSNE’s digital organizing campaigns to advance organizing, policy and electoral program goals with a particular focus on engaging young people and communities of color.
THE KEY REQUIREMENTS:
● Passionate commitment to the mission, vision and values of PPSNE
● Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
● Depth of understanding of organizational culture and leadership development
● Excellent cross-cultural communication skills (verbal and written)
● Strong organizational skills are required. Project management experience preferred.
● Must possess the ability to work with changing priorities and simultaneously handle multiple projects
● Requires at least 3-5 years of related and/or applicable organizing experience on political or social issues and a proven ability to motivate, train, and develop other leaders, especially organizers and volunteers.
● Demonstrated success in leading organizing campaigns with power building, policy and electoral goals.
● Demonstrated commitment to social justice, racial equity, and sexual and reproductive health, rights and justice.
● Experience required with VAN (Voter Activation Network) and other modern campaign tools, data, and technology.
● Demonstrates well-developed interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate with diverse groups and gain trust and spark interest among community residents.
● Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to successfully relate to and motivate volunteers.
● Relevant experience working with and organizing in diverse communities, specifically youth, Black, Latinx or LGBTQ+ communities, around issue, policy and/or electoral organizing, campaigns and initiatives and an extensive knowledge of diversity, equity and inclusion preferred.
● Bilingual English and Spanish preferred
● Collaborative leader
● Life-long learner
● Committed to equity and inclusion
● Culturally responsive
Please note: This is not a 9-5, Monday-Friday job. Nights and weekends are required. Travel required between CT and RI regularly. If you are excited to go above and beyond to build power and advance the movement for reproductive freedom this might be the job for you!
PPSNE is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We are committed to building an inclusive workplace that values diversity and inclusion and reflects the diversity of our communities and patients. We strongly encourage people of color and members of the LGBTQ community to apply.
PPSNE offers a comprehensive benefit package which includes; Health, dental and vision insurance, retirement savings, tuition reimbursement, generous paid time off, a flexible spending account, wellness program and more.
This position’s salary range is $50,544 - $63,190 and is based on full years of experience.
Please complete pre-screen questions and attach cover letter and resume for consideration.