New Haven, Connecticut /
Public Policy Advocacy & Organizing (PPAO) /
Planned Parenthood of Southern New England
Care. No Matter What.
We are Planned Parenthood of Southern New England, one of the region’s largest and most trusted providers of reproductive health care. We are recognized for the wide array of services we provide, the outstanding sexual health education we deliver, and our strong commitment to social justice. Working for Planned Parenthood is more than a job; it’s being a part of a powerful movement. Together, we’ll take pride in shaping the future of sexual health and reproductive rights for all people.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING:
In support of Planned Parenthood of Southern New England’s mission, the Organizer is the point person for building community power, supporting and expanding volunteer programs, and executing local, statewide, and national reproductive rights campaigns in Connecticut or Rhode Island. They are responsible for coordinating efforts by PPSNE to develop and maintain grassroots support networks throughout the state. They implement new and innovative ways to inform the public, especially within the youth, Black, Latinx, and LGBTQ+ communities, about political issues affecting reproductive health, rights and access in our state and nationally, and coordinates efforts by which the public can actively participate in the advocacy of these issues.
The Organizer will also provide key support to Planned Parenthood Votes! CT/RI, particularly around volunteer activities in targeted electoral and issue-based campaigns. The ideal candidate for this position will be results-driven self-starter who is familiar with CT and RI and understands the major community players working on the ground.
The Organizer’s focus will be to engage the Latinx community and grow a base of Latinx supporters and build power for the reproductive health and rights movement.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
· Manage and expand volunteer programs. On-the-ground support for existing volunteers, cooperation and collaboration with community organizations, and active participation in community events is vital to building the grassroots community power necessary to achieve our mission; all while understanding the multiple priorities Planned Parenthood faces.
o Develop and mobilize a strong volunteer base and cultivate volunteer community leaders through direct community outreach, grassroots field work, voter contact, and leadership development programs.
o Recruit, train, support, and mobilize activists in targeted communities, specifically youth, Black, Latinx and LGBTQ+ communities, on local, state and national reproductive health issues.
o Develop leadership among young people, through Planned Parenthood Generation Action program, and maintain allied student organizations at local colleges/universities
o Build organizing and leadership capacity and grassroots partnerships to effectively advance state and federal policy initiatives.
· Cultivate relationships with Planned Parenthood supporters, community organizations, and additional stakeholders to ensure effective long-term engagement and power building.
· Create a metrics-driven reporting system to ensure organizing goals are met and reflected in the data reports pulled by both affiliate and national staff.
o Manage volunteer database and ensure accurate and timely input of program data in VAN.
· Responsible for digital organizing activities, Every Action email alerts and Hustle and collaborate with Social Media staff for appropriate messages on our social media channels.
· Collaborate with PPSNE health centers, External Affairs team, and Development team for interdepartmental knowledge sharing and development of best practices.
· Contribute to elevating Planned Parenthood’s organizing work in the media through earned media, social media, and Spanish-language media opportunities.
· Perform administrative duties, including data entry and completion and submittal of paperwork in a timely fashion.
THE KEY REQUIREMENTS:
· Passionate commitment to the mission, vision and values of PPSNE
· Depth of understanding of organizational culture and leadership development
· Excellent cross-cultural communication skills (verbal and written)
· Strong organizational skills required. Project management experience preferred.
· Must possess the ability to work with changing priorities and simultaneously handle multiple projects
· Requires at least one (1) to two (2) years of related and/or applicable organizing experience on political or social issues and a proven ability to motivate, train, and develop other leaders, especially volunteers.
· Requires ability equal to that derived from satisfactory completion of courses required for graduation from an accredited college or university with a Baccalaureate Degree.
· Has demonstrated commitment to social justice and reproductive health, rights and justice.
· Demonstrates well-developed interpersonal skills with the ability to collaborate with diverse groups and gain trust and spark interest among community residents, and the ability to successfully relate to and motivate volunteers.
· Relevant experience working with diverse communities, specifically youth, Black, Latinx or LGBTQ+ communities, around issue, policy and/or electoral organizing, campaigns and initiatives and an extensive knowledge of diversity and inclusion preferred.
· Bilingual fluency (Spanish /English) is required
Please note: This is not a 9-5, Monday-Friday job. Nights and weekends are required. If you are excited to go above and beyond to build power and advance the movement for reproductive freedom this might be the job for you!
· Self-identified activist
· Collaborative leader
· Life-long learner
· Committed to equity and inclusion
· Culturally responsive
Salary Range: Min: $40,927 Mid: $51,158 Max:$63,948 and is based on full years of experience
*Due to our commitment to equity and fairness PPSNE does not negotiate salaries.
PPSNE is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We are committed to building an inclusive workplace that values diversity and inclusion and reflects the diversity of our communities and patients. We strongly encourage people of color and members of the LGBTQ community to apply.
PPSNE offers a comprehensive benefit package which includes; Health, dental and vision insurance, retirement savings, paid parental leave, tuition reimbursement, generous paid time off, a flexible spending account, wellness program and more.