Bilingual Youth Development Specialist & Educator
Planned Parenthood of Southern New England
Care. No Matter What.
We are Planned Parenthood of Southern New England, one of the region’s largest and most trusted providers of reproductive health care. We are recognized for the wide array of services we provide, the outstanding sexual health education we deliver, and our strong commitment to social justice. Working for Planned Parenthood is more than a job; it’s being a part of a powerful movement. Together, we’ll take pride in shaping the future of sexual health and reproductive rights for all people.
Position Summary: Planned Parenthood of Southern New England has an opening for a full time (37.5) Bilingual (Spanish/English) Youth Development Specialist & Educator or work out of our Bridgeport Health Center. The Youth Development Specialist & Educator is responsible for the development and provision of educational programs to youth and adults in community-based organizations and schools. The Youth Development Specialist & Educator is also responsible for facilitating and coordinating Students Teaching About Responsible Sexuality (STARS) PPSNE’s teen peer educators.
· Recruit, hire, and train PPSNE teen peer education group and coordinates all aspects of the program
· Plan and implement orientation and training on sexuality education and facilitate ongoing monthly trainings for STARS
· In collaboration with the health center, coordinate Teen Clinic as determined
· Assist with the development and expansion of youth programming at PPSNE
· Provide service learning opportunities for STARS throughout the year
· May chaperone STARS to conferences outside PPSNE’s service area
· Develops and implements high quality community education programs related to sexuality/sexual health to youth and adults in a variety of settings
· Networks with other community-based organizations to cultivate an awareness and use of PPSNE services
· Provides resource consultation to community-based organizations regarding sexuality education
· Identifies and markets learning events to professional and community audiences
· Cultivates an awareness of the diversity of PPSNE’s customer base and provides programs and services that reflect a competency around issues of diversity
· Maintains, utilizes and distributes Education Department materials and program tools. Ensures that all materials and training tools are kept in good condition
· Files reports and records and program in a timely manner. Keeps director informed of all developments impacting on community education in the service area
· Develops and maintains external contacts with professionals, organizations, and community agencies to promote and enhance their relationship with PPSNE including PPSNE supported membership in professional organizations as agreed upon with the Vice President, Education & Training
· Supports efforts of the agency’s diversity program to provide services that are culturally and linguistically competent; takes the initiative to develop own awareness and knowledge of diversity matters
· College degree or at least three years professional experience in community education, youth development and/or sexuality/sexual health
· Experience working with community-based audiences and youth
· Academic training in the literature of human sexuality, reproductive health, and sexuality education
· Must be an effective communicator with a demonstrated comfort level communicating sexuality-related topics professionally in a public forum
· Demonstrated education/training skills
· Demonstrated understanding and utilization of the skill sets necessary for effective community education/training design and group facilitation
· Ability to create and present education/training programs to meet the needs of external clients
· Demonstrated education and business writing skills
· Strong supporter of PPSNE mission and the reproductive health services offered
· Bilingual fluency (Spanish/English) skills required
PPSNE is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We are committed to building an inclusive workplace that values diversity and inclusion and reflects the diversity of our communities and patients. We strongly encourage people of color and members of the LGBTQ community to apply.
PPSNE offers a comprehensive benefit package which includes; Health, dental and vision insurance, retirement savings, tuition reimbursement, generous paid time off, a flexible spending account, wellness programand more.
Please send a cover letter and a resume to:
Apply online: www.ppsne.org/jobs