Chief External Affairs Officer
345 Administrative Office
Office of the President
Planned Parenthood of Southern New England
Care. No Matter What.
We are Planned Parenthood of Southern New England, one of the region’s largest and most trusted providers of reproductive health care. We are recognized for the wide array of services we provide, the outstanding sexual health education we deliver, and our strong commitment to social justice. Working for Planned Parenthood is more than a job; it’s being a part of a powerful movement. Together, we’ll take pride in shaping the future of sexual health and reproductive rights for all people.
Position Summary: In support of Planned Parenthood of Southern New England’s mission, the Chief External Affairs Officer (CEAO) is responsible for the development of a collaborative, impact-oriented, and integrated approach to external affairs, identifying and leveraging synergies among advocacy, government affairs, fundraising, externally-focused education and training, community relations, community leadership , communications, and marketing strategies to position our organization as a trusted leader and provider of healthcare, advocacy, and education. The goal of this new position is to build deep and cohesive relationships with our supporters and constituents by ensuring that the activities of each external affairs function reinforce those of the others. The CEAO will be empowered to develop a unifying vision for External Affairs for Planned Parenthood of Southern New England, driving towards deeper engagement with our patients, communities, donors, and supporters, and to design and execute the operational plan to realize that vision. The Chief External Affairs Officer is a member of the executive leadership team and reports directly to the President and Chief Executive Officer.
· Oversees all external affairs activities including advocacy, government affairs, fundraising, externally-focused education and training, community relations, community leadership , communications, and marketing; this includes responsibility for all external affairs policies, systems, and procedures and oversight integration of all external affairs staff including the Development, Education and Training, Public Policy and Advocacy, and Public Relations and Marketing teams, building a “team of teams”.
· Serves as the primary spokesperson for the organization and/or directs local or agency spokespersons for the media.
· Oversees and directs the organization’s efforts to achieve policy change that protects reproductive health and rights and is responsible for the associated strategic planning and operations as well as the coordination of advocacy activities to support these endeavors.
· Oversees staff supervision of public policy, advocacy, government relations, lobbying, and organizing/outreach plans, including oversight of annual work plan, on-going priorities, and community-specific initiatives including advocacy or public policy internship programs.
· Provides leadership in the interaction, growth and development of the Boards of Planned Parenthood Votes! Connecticut and Planned Parenthood Votes! Rhode Island, our two C4 advocacy and electoral ancillary organizations, as well as the Political Action Committee we operate in each state.
· Provides oversight over tracking of activities of the Connecticut and Rhode Island legislatures and administrations, and Congressional, local, state, and national governmental entities on issues of importance to Planned Parenthood including our public funding priorities.
· Leads the development of an agency-wide strategic vision for fundraising (both annual and special campaigns, as warranted), including assuming an active role in developing and cultivating funding sources, cultivating and maintaining donor relations, to further the philanthropic goals of PPSNE and the Planned Parenthood Votes! organizations.
· Works in close collaboration with the President and CEO to ensure successful delivery on fundraising goals and objectives. Supports the relationship between the Vice President of Development and the CEO, as they partner to maximize major gift opportunities.
· Provides leadership and partnership for both the C3 and C4 boards of directors in advancing their responsibilities for enhancing fundraising to support the mission.
· Develops and oversees building a culture of philanthropy throughout PPSNE, including partnering with all PPSNE departments to maximize opportunities for fund development and philanthropic engagement at all levels of the organization.
· Directs and oversees external communications, with a focus on developing the “voice of the agency”, to enhance and promote the work of the organization, including digital media / new media, supporter communications, newsletters, donor-facing materials, media, and external marketing materials.
· Oversees constituent-focused external communications, ensuring the CEO, donors, volunteers, clients, community partners and staff are informed on timely topics to assure a consistent and engaging message to the public on behalf of Planned Parenthood.
· Oversees annual client marketing campaign with monthly and quarterly measurements to ensure success of advertising campaigns and revises them as needed. Tracks annual marketing outcomes on a quarterly basis. Oversees marketing materials and (print and digital advertisements, radio scripts, and other materials). Works closely with Health Services executive leadership to coordinate annual goals.
· Oversees the development, strategies, and communication for external-facing sexual and health education programming including local, state, and federal partnerships, community collaborations, communications, public relations and support for successful programming.
· Ensures the success of new and existing external education programs, including a new effort focused on Maternal Health disparities and our ongoing youth-focused educational programming;
· Identifies and pursues new opportunities for expanding educational programming and the funding to support program expansion.
· As a member of the executive leadership team, provides leadership and consultation across the organization to identify and implement policies, procedures, actions, interventions, and tactics that advance our work and meet our strategic and operational goals.
· The role is responsible for the full geography of PPSNE. The CEAO will divide their time as needed between CT and RI.
· Produces timely and accurate reports to Planned Parenthood Federation of America and regulatory agencies.
· Represents the organization at meetings, PPFA conferences, community events, conferences, and fundraising, as appropriate.
· Other related duties as assigned.
· Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted or changed at any time at the discretion of management, formally or informally, either verbally or in writing.
· Passionate commitment to the mission, vision and values of PPSNE
· Demonstrated commitment to and understanding of diversity, equity, and inclusion and the intersection with health and social justice.
· Meaningful experience in public policy, government affairs, organizing, and/or fundraising
· Excellent cross-cultural communication skills (verbal and written)
· Strong understanding of how to effectively support both internal and external customers
· Experience implementing transformative initiatives within a complex organization
· Demonstrated success in building cross-functional team partnerships
· Bachelor’s degree required
· Master’s degree or legal degree or equivalent work experience required in one or more of the following areas: development, government relations, public policy, business administration, health care administration, organizational development
· Collaborative, values-driven leader
· Strategic thinker with an analytic bent
· Orientation toward outcomes and impact
· Strong team-building skills
· Entrepreneurial nature
· Life-long learner
· Relationship focused connector
· Culturally responsive
· Deepen mission execution and vision realization within a leading Planned Parenthood affiliate
· Work in a fast-paced, high energy, dynamic environment with a team that is dedicated to the mission
PPSNE is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We are committed to building an inclusive workplace that values diversity and inclusion and reflects the diversity of our communities and patients. We strongly encourage people of color and members of the LGBTQ community to apply.
PPSNE offers a comprehensive benefit package which includes; Health, dental and vision insurance, retirement savings, tuition reimbursement, generous paid time off, a flexible spending account, wellness program and more.
Please send a cover letter and a resume to:
Apply online: www.ppsne.org/jobs