Vice President of Communications and Marketing
Milwaukee, Wisconsin /
Administrative Support Staff /
PLANNED PARENTHOOD OF WISCONSIN, INC.
VICE PRESIDENT OF COMMUNICATIONS & MARKETING
At Planned Parenthood of Wisconsin, Inc. (PPWI), we work to provide quality, affordable health care services, comprehensive education, and strong advocacy. We serve over 60,000 patients annually in 24 health centers statewide, making us the largest and most trusted reproductive health care provider in Wisconsin. Our goal is to help keep Wisconsin safe, healthy and strong!
This is an excellent opportunity for a Vice President of Communications and Marketing at our Jackson Street Administration Office in Milwaukee, WI.
WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FOR?
Do the ceaseless attacks on reproductive freedom make you want to get into the fight? Is it time to apply your passion and energy to a mission that’s at the core of who we are as country?
If you are a dynamic and seasoned communications and marketing professional, we want you to bring your expertise, energy and leadership to Planned Parenthood of Wisconsin (PPWI). We have a burgeoning team of communication specialists that is seeking a steward who can meld strategy with tactics; communications with employee and patient experience, public relations with social media; advertising with brand management; marketing with development.
Too tall of an order? Or exactly the type of challenge you’ve been looking for?
If Yes, to the latter... Join us. Become our Vice President of Communications and Marketing. Be a part of the team delivering essential education, health care and advocacy and help ensure that life-saving services, sex education, and quality public health policies are protected and expanded upon in our great state of Wisconsin.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The Vice President of Communications and Marketing is responsible for leading a dynamic team of communications specialists, public relations professionals, and partnering marketing/design firms that underpin the Planned Parenthood of Wisconsin brand. The role actively integrates earned media, paid media, a broad social media strategy, public policy campaigns, organizational advertising, events, and internal communications. The VP will develop, execute and evaluate short and long-term culturally relevant marketing strategies, as well as take responsibility for setting metrics and sharing/refining results. Further, the position will play a key role among senior leadership to translate agency-wide strategic initiatives into actionable plans that create continuity in messaging, internally and externally.
Experienced leader with outstanding written and verbal communications skills, and a track record of success in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
Demonstrated ability to convey a vision, develop strategy, lead on execution with high quality results.
Demonstrated ability to tell important stories.
Demonstrated supervision and experience successfully cultivating a collaborative team environment.
History of managing branded communications, building brand awareness and driving key messages to identified target audiences.
Familiarity with communicating around a range of topics impacting organizational brand and related audiences including: health care services, public health outcomes, development and educational programming, as well as public policy and legal proposals and impacts.
Experience managing crisis communications.
Demonstrated knowledge of digital and earned media strategies.
Commitment to a person’s right to make personal decisions regarding health care, including abortion.
Commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion and eradicating racism.
Organizational skills including attention to detail.
Ability to handle multiple projects and meet budget and deadlines.
Proficiency in use of personal computers and Microsoft applications such as Word, Excel, and Power Point.
Bilingual English/Spanish a plus.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree and minimum of seven years’ experience in a public relations, communication, marketing or related role. Demonstrated experience with writing, editing, interfacing with graphic arts, news media relations and working with printers and other related vendors. Three years of supervisory experience and demonstrated team leadership required.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The position is predominantly sedentary requiring the ability to sit, bend, stand and walk. May require occasional stooping, reaching, stair-climbing and repetitive motions of the hands and wrist related to writing and typing at an electronic keyboard. Effective speech and hearing ability to allow for effective communication. Rarely requires kneeling, pushing/pulling and repetitive motions of the feet.
Physical demands of the position necessitate hearing, talking, handling and grasping regularly. May require lifting up to 30 pounds. Specific vision conditions include close vision reading. Requires the ability to operate a computer, telephone, fax, copy machine and calculator.
The position is generally performed in an office environment but involves frequent interruptions. The noise level is generally low to quiet. The work environment characteristics are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations, however, may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform said essential functions.
Evening and/or weekend hours may frequently be necessary.
This position requires traveling statewide, necessitating a valid driver’s license and auto insurance in accordance with agency liability standards is required. Must have own reliable transportation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Integrated Strategic Communications:
- Develops and oversees the execution of PPWI’s integrated internal and external communications and marketing plan supporting the organization’s strategic plan, brand identity and launch of new initiatives reflecting and utilizing all available mediums including public relations.
- Work closely with the Chief Brand Strategy Officer to build and maintain brand alignment on all internal and external initiatives
- Work directly with PPFA Guidelines to build out brand standards to deploy across the organization.
- Develop the brand playbook and Standard Operating Procedures for brand programming to drive consistency across all programming.
- Ensure strategies and materials are culturally and linguistically inclusive for our staff, patients and communities. PPWI has a large Spanish language constituency in particular.
- Responsible for the final decision on any branded materials distributed internally or externally.
- Develop and execute special project communications in alignment with strategic goals. Serve as a member of, or appoint a designee, to relevant agency committees and ad hoc project teams.
- Serve as a member of agency Senior Management Team.
- Leads crisis communications team.
- Identify and listen to key stakeholder audiences to execute marketing strategies for patient acquisition and retention. Includes overseeing collaboration with outside marketing communication partner(s).
- Leverage market analysis, consumer, supporter, and patient demographics to inform initiatives and timelines.
- Oversees the production of publications, maintaining production schedules, overseeing distribution of communication materials, overseeing relationships with designers and/or printers. Ensure adherence to graphic standards of brand identity.
- Develops, or oversees the development, of a wide variety of assignments including writing material on complex and technical subjects as well as creative writing.
- Oversees content production for website and digital media.
- Supports general agency communication needs and takes leadership role in recommending communication strategies and solutions.
- Develops and directs an annual packaging of sponsorship opportunities for Planned Parenthood events.
- Engages with Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) on strategic communications
- Leadership and Personnel:
- Lead the ongoing development, collaboration and staffing and of an integrated Communications and Marketing team.
- Develop a strategic communications model to reflect & provide statewide to support a community-centric approach
- Develop clear processes for other departments to invoke the services of the communications team.
- Develop, prepare and coach agency spokespeople as needed
- Attend events as needed
- Manage or oversee the management of outside agency communication and marketing partners.
- Financial Management:
- Develop and manage annual programming budget.
- Reviews on a regular basis financial statements and reports, and makes changes in resource allocation and spending, to ensure resource stewardship and budget compliance.
- Supports and adheres to the financial controls and related policies and procedures of PPWI.
- Other duties as assigned.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to be considered for the position. We look forward to hearing from you!