Communications and Media Manager
Administrative Support Staff /
PLANNED PARENTHOOD OF WISCONSIN, INC.
COMMUNICATIONS AND MEDIA MANAGER
At Planned Parenthood of Wisconsin, Inc. (PPWI), we work to provide quality, affordable health care services, comprehensive education, and strong advocacy. We serve over 60,000 patients annually in 22 health centers statewide, making us the largest and most trusted reproductive health care provider in Wisconsin. Our goal is to help keep Wisconsin safe, healthy and strong!
This is an excellent opportunity for a Communications and Media Manager (40 hrs/week).
PURPOSE OF POSITION: This position is responsible for developing and executing communications strategies for internal and external communications in alignment with agency mission and strategic goals. Individual ensures communications are inclusive and representative of the communities we serve. This individual works extensively in managing and responding to the earned media strategies along with meeting the internal and external communication needs of the organization.
· Possess a strong commitment and understanding of the comprehensive, voluntary, sexual and reproductive health programs and a person’s freedom to make personal health care decisions, including abortion.
· Must have a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion and belonging.
· Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and verbally.
· Experience developing earned, owned and paid media strategies.
· Demonstrated ability to develop communication plans in order to elevate an issue, brand, or message to various communities and audiences.
· Demonstrated experience with developing and executing inclusive communication strategies.
· Must be able to maintain confidential information.
· Must be able to work collaboratively and develop and maintain interpersonal relationships with multiple constituencies, including Black, Indigenous, Latinx, Asian, LGBTQ+, and economically disadvantaged populations, etc.
· Must have the ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects and urgent, unexpected needs in a collaborative, fast paced environment.
· Experience with Microsoft applications such as Word, Excel, and Power Point preferably in MS 365.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
A bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, communications or other related discipline preferred with three - five years of experience in developing and executive strategies in journalism, digital, earned, owned, and/or paid media communications, public affairs, and/or message development. An equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and abilities may be acquired. Bilingual written and verbal skills in Spanish/English a plus. Must have demonstrated supervisory experience.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities may include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; supervising, planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The position is predominantly sedentary requiring the ability to sit, bend, stand and walk. May require occasional stooping, reaching, stair-climbing. Requires repetitive motions of the hands and wrist related to writing and typing on a keyboard. Rarely requires kneeling, pushing/pulling and repetitive motions of the feet.
Physical demands of the position necessitate hearing, talking, handling and grasping regularly. May require lifting up to 30 pounds. Specific vision conditions include close vision reading. Requires the ability to operate a computer, telephone, fax, copy machine and adding machine or calculator.
The position is generally performed in an office environment but involves frequent interruptions. The work environment characteristics are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations, however, may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform said essential functions.
Occasional evening and/or weekend hours may be necessary.
This position requires traveling statewide. Must have access to transportation. This may include having a valid driver’s license and auto insurance in accordance with agency liability standards and/or the ability to schedule transportation in accordance with the agency’s travel and reimbursement policies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- · Ensures internal and external communications reflect agency’s commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging consistently.
- · Develop agency earned media and communications strategies in alignment with the overall agency mission and strategic plan. Provide programmatic oversight.
- · Point person for Planned Parenthood Federation of America and Planned Parenthood Action Fund communications team and work closely with national staff to create alignment between national and affiliate message goals including those targeting Black, Indigenous, Latinx, Asian, LGBTQ+, and economically disadvantaged populations, etc.
- · Support communications strategies for digital advocacy team.
- · Develop and execute a full media relations strategy. Includes actions items such as:
- · Cultivate and maintain relationships with targeted media with an equity and inclusion lens.
- · Assist in the development of media content for multiple media platforms.
- · Develop press releases, talking points, message documents and statements for PPWI and PPAWI.
- · Implement and manage media campaigns as strategically advised. Track related metrics and report out on results.
- · Assist in the training and preparation of staff spokespeople: Prepare message points and background information for spokespeople prior to each interview. Staff media interviews and provide feedback as warranted.
- · Serve as agency spokesperson as warranted.
- · Prepare media materials for proactive media outreach or in response to inquiries.
- · Manage and maintain media database, including traditional and non-traditional media.
- · Support crisis communications as needed.
- · Stay up to date on media trends and best practices, making recommendations to the department on new strategies and tactics with an equity and inclusion lens.
- · Provide PPWI staff, coalition and board members with periodic updates of PPWI’s presence in the news.
- · Work with organizational partners and support the development of external media spokespeople to ensure messaging includes equity and inclusive components.
- · Develop relationships and strategies to effectively collaborate with legislative and coalition partners to effectively engage with the media.
- · Cultivate and/or maintain relationships with media professionals with a special emphasis on those who cover health care, business, education and public policy.
- · Work with outside consultants to support content development and leverage impact.
- · Suggest innovations in communications and media strategy.
- · Will make suggestions to and monitor budget for various media spending.
- · Other duties as assigned.
PPWI is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace.